If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

Bugs with Firefox when the DOM is manipulated in "onmouseup" code




13 years ago
12 years ago


(Reporter: Josh, Assigned: Blake Ross)


Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)





13 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

OK, this bug is tricky to reproduce/notice sometimes, but it's definately there
- I've tested this in Opera and IE6 and neither have these side effects.
Here's the situation. I'm creating a JS drop-down-menu with WebDDM (my software,
found at the URL above). The submenu is supposed to open when you click on the
parent item. So I click on it, and move over a subitem - but nothing happens
when I move over. It's almost like it's "stuck" in the "clicked" position, and
you have to click on the document AGAIN before ANY events ANYWHERE will fire.

Please note in recreating this issue that this bug seems to relate to the bug I
just reported here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=272148

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to the URL listed above
2. Click ON THE TEXT OR IMAGE (this is important!) of the "More Info" item.
3. Move over the subitem.
4. Nothing happens!
5. Click on the subitem and move around; the onmouseover code fires, the item's
background changes, etc.

6. Click on the document a few times, move off all the menus, or just refresh
the page.
7. Click on the "More Info" item, OFF the text or images.
8. Move over the subitem
9. No side-effects!
Actual Results:  
The onmouseup code has weird side-effects.

The bug is not a problem if only "onclick" code is executed, not "onmouseup" code.

The bug is only a problem if the WebDDM.showMenu function is called from
onmouseup; the showMenu code messes with the DOM (creates some elements, makes
them visible, etc)

So, it seems to me that somethings goes awry when the DOM is changed while
onmouseup code is executing??
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.