User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041026 Firefox/1.0RC1 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041026 Firefox/1.0RC1 I did notice this problem several times before, though did not try to reproduce it yet since I do not want to lose more mails. I have set a size limit of 100k so that larger mails won't be downloaded completely. Sometimes if I get a mail which is larger than that, is is erroneously marked as spam and moved to the spam folder. What I then do, is to mark the mail as not spam and move it to my folder for work related mails. Then I click on the link to download the rest of the mail. Thunderbird opens the connection to the server and downloads the mail. But once the download is complete, the message disappears completely and is lost forever. I'm using the official Thunderbird 1.0 release and am retrieving my mail using POP3. Reproducible: Didn't try Steps to Reproduce: 1. 2. 3. My system information: Windows XP Pro SP2 Pentium 4m 1,6GHz 512MB Ram
Hi, having the same problem... Thunderbird DELETES the mail also from the server!!! Many e-mails lost this way...
Have the same problem because I have set up Thunderbird to fetch headers only. When I start to download the full message, it may vanisch completely. It seems that this only happens, if Thunderbird tries to fetch new messages from the server at the same time. So I switched of the option "look for new mails every x minutes" to avoid such a situation. But this can only be a weak workaround for the problem. My current Thunderbird is the German Version 1.0.6
I am also running WinXP Pro SP2, and have experienced this exact phenomenon. In my case, avast pro mail scanner detected a spam e-mail with infected attachment and deleted the e-mail. I had to restart the e-mail download, and had no record of the the downloaded e-mails, and the next time I reopened thunderbird, ALL my e-mails were gone INCLUDING SENT e-mails!
This is the closest to the bug I've been experiencing. I always telnet to the server to delete spam before downoading. Any mail that I read during the telnet session gets marked as read on the server, is not downloaded to thunderbird, but IS removed from server.
not able to reproduce on TBversion 3.0a1pre (2008042303) Vista biz pop gmails (for testing purposes) seams fine here Anyone reproduced it recently? tb 1.5, tb2 or newer?
same thing here and happens alot. this is what most people would consider to be a MAJOR bug as it looses and destroys data. nothing done to fix this since the first post was in 2004.... 4 years is a long time.... guess we just gotta live with this LONGGGGG running problem.
Willie, you're comments, while useful in pointing out the problem still exists, don't get us further to a resolution. what will help is a) describe the problem better than comment 0 does, b) search bugzilla to see if this problem is already reported - perhaps there is a bug which has more progress or a better description. (this sounds like a dupe)
Assignee: mscott → nobody
Component: General → Networking: POP
Product: Thunderbird → Core
QA Contact: general → networking.pop
Summary: Lost mail if retrieving partial downloaded mail after moving to different folder → Lost mail if retrieving partial downloaded pop mail after switching to different folder
Whiteboard: closeme 2008-05-10 → dupeme
Product: Core → MailNews Core
Incomplete - per reporter not being around and initial version being 1.5
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.