Wrong Character Encoding with Auto-Dedect "Universal" and no info from website

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 181344

Status

SeaMonkey
General
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 181344
14 years ago
14 years ago

People

(Reporter: Gunther Schmidt, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040910
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040910

When surfing through some UK sites, the pound character was always wrong. By
checking the used character set, it was Chinese Simplified (gb18030). 

By checking META and http header information there was no encoding information
provided by the site. 

When I turned Auto-Dedect OFF, it used default Western and showed the sites correct.


Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set Character encoding to Auto-Dedect Universal.
2. Surf on a site without encoding information.
3. Special characters are not recognised.

Actual Results:  
e.g. Average Cost: �,794

Expected Results:  
e.g. Average Cost: £125,794

Comment 1

14 years ago
Gunther, can you try again with setting
Edit/Preferences.../Navigator/Languages/Default Character Encoding and here
choose Western ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15

If the server does not define character set in the http headers (I checked with
Delorie's http headers) and if the page has no info (like a meta) on the
character encoding, then I believe your default character encoding will be used.

Comment 2

14 years ago

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 181344 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.