That's just a suggestion. My native language is Russian, so I have many troubles with character encodings cos some sites print wrong Content-Encoding & Content-Language headers or don't print them at all, so Firefox is to guess the right encoding. My suggestion is to made an option to "force a specific encoding", because nowadays firefox switches to ISO-8859-1 by default and I have to change the encoding manually every time I refresh a page from russian part of driverheaven.net forums.
Can't you go to View->Character Encoding->Customize List and then set the one you want, and remove ISO-8859-1?
I've tried this, but after refreshing any page (on driverheaven.net) Western (ISO-8859-1) appears in this list anyway. And firefox uses it.
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=62972 is an example of a page which declares ISO-8859-1 but actually contains text in some Russian encoding (I don't know enough Russian to be able to tell which one, but I would guess windows-1251). Personally I would say an enhancement like this is only required in rare situations and would be more appropriate for an extension than the core UI.
Summary: Character Encoding → Option to force a character encoding override on all pages
What's requested here is... "no matter what (http, meta tag, etc), just use this encoding", right? I'm not sure if it's possible only with a front-end change.
Yes. You're right, Jungshik Shin. That's what i mean. Maybe it's possible to write an extension for it?
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.