View Selection Source should appear in toolbar menu

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

()

--
enhancement
RESOLVED INVALID
14 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: donna, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
this is a very nice browser...I downloaded it for mac because I really need the
view selected source option that you DO have for the pc version. 

why is there always something missing
in mac versions?

an liklihood of it showing up in a new version?  is there a ful l featured
version I can pay for for mac osX that I can buy which has  the view  selected
source?

sigh

Comment 1

14 years ago
Reporter, what do you mean ? If I select a few words on the page, and I
ctrl-click (or right-click) the selection, I get a context menu with 'View
Selection Source' at the bottom. Are you claiming that it doesn't work ? In what
version ?
(Reporter)

Comment 2

14 years ago
In the pc version there the view selected option is under the view menu, immediately under the view 
source option.  I expected to see it there. There is no way for me to intuitively know that if I right 
click..(which is not a standard procedure for mac people as yet but its getting there)...I'll find that 
option. Thanks for telling me where it was. Does the online manual for this browser outline these 
functions? what about a list of functions that change locations between platforms?

(In reply to comment #0)
> this is a very nice browser...I downloaded it for mac because I really need the
> view selected source option that you DO have for the pc version. 
> 
> why is there always something missing
> in mac versions?
> 
> an liklihood of it showing up in a new version?  is there a ful l featured
> version I can pay for for mac osX that I can buy which has  the view  selected
> source?
> 
> sigh
View selection source *is* visiable on mac, this is probably a result of an
extension-installation.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Actaully, reopening [for now] per last comments, sorry for bugspam
Status: RESOLVED → UNCONFIRMED
Resolution: INVALID → ---

Updated

14 years ago
Summary: why please why? → view selection source missing from menu
(Reporter)

Comment 5

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> Actaully, reopening [for now] per last comments, sorry for bugspam

no its not visible (per prev comment)...
I did install some extensions that seemed like they would contain the view selected option..but in the 
standard mac osX download, the view selected source is not visible in any of the default menus.
based on the first response I did find it when I right clicked...but as I mentioned..coherence between 
platforms where possible is appreciated
thanks
So if it does appear in the context menu, what is this bug about? Adding it to
the toolbar menu?
(Reporter)

Comment 7

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #6)
> So if it does appear in the context menu, what is this bug about? Adding it to
> the toolbar menu?

that and figuring a way to let people know its' there in the first place.
like a table of pc locations of features vs mac locations of features, or something in a user doc pursuant 
to same.
Adding the option to the menu is one thing (which would probably be WONTFIXED
for UI bloat concerns), but the "figuring a way to let people know its' there in
the first place" part is a Firefox - Help Documentation bug. Feel free to file a
bug in that component about making a "platform differences" document or
something. Of course, if you'd be willing to volunteer some time to do it, that
would be wonderful :).

Anyways, confirming the RFE.
Severity: normal → enhancement
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Component: View Source → Menus
Ever confirmed: true
Summary: view selection source missing from menu → View Selection Source should appear in toolbar menu

Comment 9

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > So if it does appear in the context menu, what is this bug about? Adding it to
> > the toolbar menu?
> 
> that and figuring a way to let people know its' there in the first place.
> like a table of pc locations of features vs mac locations of features, or
something in a user doc pursuant 
> to same.

Note that a ctrl-click is *standard* Mac OS X behaviour for a context menu,
sicne Mac OS 9 I think. Try it, it works even in the Finder. If you have 2 or
more mouse-buttons, you can use the real right mouse-button, but the ctrl-click
is provided for people with only 1 mouse-button (still the default).

Note that Netscape 4.5 provided their own trick for this, when Apple hadn't yet
decided that it should be a ctrl-click. Mozilla also implements it. You can also
use click-and-hold (press the mouse button, and hold it) to pop up the menu. But
that's non-standard behaviour, and some people want it to be removed : bug 107433
(Reporter)

Comment 10

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #9)
> (In reply to comment #7)
> > (In reply to comment #6)
> > > So if it does appear in the context menu, what is this bug about? Adding it to
> > > the toolbar menu?
> > 
> > that and figuring a way to let people know its' there in the first place.
> > like a table of pc locations of features vs mac locations of features, or
> something in a user doc pursuant 
> > to same.
> 
> Note that a ctrl-click is *standard* Mac OS X behaviour for a context menu,
> sicne Mac OS 9 I think. Try it, it works even in the Finder. If you have 2 or
> more mouse-buttons, you can use the real right mouse-button, but the ctrl-click
> is provided for people with only 1 mouse-button (still the default).
> 
> Note that Netscape 4.5 provided their own trick for this, when Apple hadn't yet
> decided that it should be a ctrl-click. Mozilla also implements it. You can also
> use click-and-hold (press the mouse button, and hold it) to pop up the menu. But
> that's non-standard behaviour, and some people want it to be removed : bug 107433

I remember that issue with netscape.. I"m a long time mac user. but event tho the control click thing 
has been around a while now..in my mind I still relegate that to pc, and its not intuitive for me to try 
those key combos when I'm looking at new applications..

thanks for your help.
OS: MacOS X → All
Hardware: Macintosh → All
Assignee: bugs → nobody
QA Contact: view.source → menus
"View Selection Source" is no longer an entry in the View menu on any platform. Marking this as INVALID.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago6 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.