I had an existing whine on a 2.19.1 Bugzilla that was scheduled for 2:00am daily. It's a bugzilla for a project that I'm still a little involved with, but not as much as I used to be... Yesterday, I changed the schedule on that existing whine to run on the first of the month instead of daily. Tonight I've (so far) gotten 267 copies of the same identical whine mail. 47 dated 2:00am 220 dated between 2:26 and 2:28am The cron job on the server is set to run every 15 minutes.
and that was the tip of the iceberg. I've now received 13,000 of them (no, that's not a typo) dated over a range between 2:54am and 10:04am UTC, and they're still coming. (I finally firewalled that mail server until the sysadmin wakes up and I can tell him to nuke what's in the queue) Damn lucky I don't have a quota on the box that receives mail for that address. :)
er, that range is 2:54am to 3:04am. dunno where the 10 came from :)
when the admin of that system got ahold of me this morning to apologize for mailbombing me, he said he had nuked 300K emails out of the queue on the server...
First: Ugh. Second: I'm going to set up a test box to get to the bottom of this. It's a little late for the new year, but I'll try to get this thing hammered ASAP.
Created attachment 170290 [details] [diff] [review] This probably fixes it. It certainly fixes something. I honestly have not had a chance to re-produce the problem. I'm going to do it right now, but when I was examining the code earlier today this jumped out as a probable cause. I'll stick a review request flag on the attachment if I determine that this fixes it. I thought I'd share it, though. It's a simple enough patch that it may be obvious what I'm up to.
Comment on attachment 170290 [details] [diff] [review] This probably fixes it. It certainly fixes something. OK, I confirmed it. This is the fix. The problem has nothing to do with the first of the year. Rather, it occurs when you have any query scheduled for a particular day of the month. I'm not sure how a glaring bug like this happened and got past my radar. I await r= so I can put this whole embarrasing ordeal behind me and never speak of it again.
biesi managed to trigger this yesterday, and we mailbombed gmx.at. So we had a testcase to try the fix on. It works, and doesn't seem to break anything else ;)
Checking in whine.pl; /cvsroot/mozilla/webtools/bugzilla/whine.pl,v <-- whine.pl new revision: 1.4; previous revision: 1.3 done