If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

about 75% of the time i load a page, it takes an extremely long time to load completely.

VERIFIED INVALID

Status

()

Firefox
General
--
major
VERIFIED INVALID
13 years ago
12 years ago

People

(Reporter: Alex Parker, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4

75% of the time I load a page, it takes an extremely long time to load
completely and some times it says (Not Responding) on the top of the firefox
window. It never gets to the point where its like that so long I have to end the
firefox process, but it always takes awhile. I have run many virus, spyware, and
adware tests, nothing shows up. I even tried without running any other programs
(even ones in the background) and the same thing happens.

Reproducible: Sometimes

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Go to a webpage.
Actual Results:  
The page froze up for about a minute and then it went back to normal.

Expected Results:  
Just loaded the page and displayed it normal.
Does this happen in firefox's safe mode?
- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode_%28Firefox%29

Does this happen with a new profile?
- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Have you run any firefox 'optimizing' programs or changed values in about:config?
Are you using a modified HOSTS file?
Are you going through a proxy?

This isn't a bug in firefox as it works fine for millions of people. Please ask
support questions in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Updated

13 years ago
Component: View Source → General
QA Contact: view.source → general

Comment 2

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> This isn't a bug in firefox as it works fine for millions of people. Please ask
> support questions in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

I've got the same problem, even using stock settings. This kind of flippant
attitude is going to be the death of Firefox. Works fine for millions of people?
That's a ridiculous statement. Good luck getting anybody but Slashdot readers to
use this POS unless you lose the arrogance and start trying to make this thing
more robust for the average user who doesn't know how to tweak http loading
settings.
How the hell is that a flippant attitude? Bugzilla is for filing BUGS that can
be REPRODUCED so DEVELOPERS can FIX said bugs. Saying "Firefox doesn't work 75%
of the time" isn't a bug report, it's an end-user problem, to which I directed
Alex to the appropriate forum for such discussions.

And the fact that firefox works for millions of people is not at all a
ridiculous statement; it's an accurate statement, that's what it is. If 99.99%
of firefox users are not seeing the problem that you are seeing, then chances
are it's not a firefox problem, it's a problem with your setup or hardware or
something.

In future please put your brain into gear before putting your fingers into
motion. And get a clue too, that'd probably help.
Resolving Invalid, the questions in comment 1 have not be answered (safe mode,
profile) there are not clear steps to reproduce (no url is given).

Alex please reopen if you can provide the additional information need to
reproduce and identify the cause of your problems.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID

Comment 5

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #3)
> How the hell is that a flippant attitude? Bugzilla is for filing BUGS that can
> be REPRODUCED so DEVELOPERS can FIX said bugs. Saying "Firefox doesn't work 75%
> of the time" isn't a bug report, it's an end-user problem, to which I directed
> Alex to the appropriate forum for such discussions.

Then address that by asking for more specifics, not blowing off a person who
actually took time to report a legitimate problem. If the program occasionally
hangs to the point of Windows tagging it as non-responsive, then there is
clearly a problem. I've placed bug reports in the past with specific links to
non-working pages only to have them closed for completely **** reasons. At
this rate, once MS gets IE 7 out the door any year now you're going to hear a
giant sucking sound as people return to IE after getting sick of the ****
experience of Firefox. It's slow, leaks memory like a sieve, and places
standards obsession over pragmatically handling quirks correctly.

 
> And the fact that firefox works for millions of people is not at all a
> ridiculous statement; it's an accurate statement, that's what it is. If 99.99%
> of firefox users are not seeing the problem that you are seeing, then chances
> are it's not a firefox problem, it's a problem with your setup or hardware or
> something.

You're assuming there are millions of users based on downloads. Furthermore,
you're assuming a lot about the relation between bug reports and problem
occurrence in the field. Given that I've experienced the same problem, and given
that there are other, similar bug reports in bugzilla, I'd say it's far more
than an isolated issue.


> In future please put your brain into gear before putting your fingers into
> motion. And get a clue too, that'd probably help.



(In reply to comment #5)
> Then address that by asking for more specifics, not blowing off a person who
> actually took time to report a legitimate problem. 

He did, all but the last 2 lines do exactly that.

> Given that I've experienced the same problem, and given
> that there are other, similar bug reports in bugzilla, I'd say it's far more
> than an isolated issue.

Given how vague the description is of the reporters and your problem its
entirely possible that the bugs are complety different.

Please read http://www.mozilla.org/quality/bug-writing-guidelines.html and
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html carefully.

This is not the place to continue this discussion you can talk to me or stevee
on irc.mozilla.org in #bugs or #firefox if you wish to continue it.
v. invalid
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.