Closed Bug 298148 Opened 17 years ago Closed 16 years ago

migration of multiple accounts from the same provider looses data

Categories

(Thunderbird :: Migration, defect)

x86
Windows XP
defect
Not set
blocker

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 268034

People

(Reporter: tg38, Assigned: mscott)

Details

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr-FR; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
Build Identifier: Thunderbird version 1.0.2 (20050317) (french version)

I'm currently using mozilla 1.7 for my mails.
I've got two accounts from the same provider (account1@provider.net, and
account2@provider.net), which are labeled pop.provider-1.net and
pop.provider-2.net in mozilla profiles dir in application data from windows user.
When installing thunderbird and importing my emails, it looses the data of the
first account. It works fine for the other accounts which are from different
providers.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. (if thunderbird install, clean profile in application data)
2. install and launch thunderbird, accept migration
3. check archived mails

Actual Results:  
account1@provider.net contains the data of account2@provider.net
account2@provider.net is empty.
account1@provider.net are nowhere

Expected Results:  
account1@provider.net contains the data of account1@provider.net
account2@provider.net contains the data of account2@provider.net
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
I believe this was fixed a long time ago.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Whiteboard: DUPEME
(In reply to comment #2)
> I believe this was fixed a long time ago.
No. Bug 268034 is still alive.
This a dupe of Bug #268034 then?
I agree this is a duplicate. I'm quite disppointed by the support as long as see since how long and refered is the problem. This is a HUGE problem : I guess 98% of people experiencing it would just forget about thunderbird for quite long (and people having mutiple account for a provider shall be quite large...) . Only few like me and the others would bare hoping it is fixed. Then it is likely they would be discouraged that after testing several new releases and still finding the bug, making thunderbird unsusable. The worst is that it doesn't sound such a big issue to fix it (I'm a software engineer, but no, proposing patch for thunderbird is not my priority..., I have other mailer to use). 

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 268034 ***
Severity: major → critical
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
this was fixed a long time ago on the trunk. The fix is in 1.5, and has been in trunk nightly builds for a long time.
I've just download and tested with french version of release candidate 2 (note I'd like only to install a final release that works).
And no it doesn't fix the problem :
account 1, domain 1 : content of account 2, domain 1
account 2, domain 1 : empty
account 1, domain 2 : content of account 2, domain 2
account 2, domain 2 : content of account 1, domain 2
I understand more why bug is still with status reopen. 
But I really wonder why nobody wants to fix it properly for so long.
Severity: critical → blocker
Cleanup *dupeme* whiteboard flag from bugs that are marked as Resolved Duplicate!
Whiteboard: DUPEME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.