Message filters imported from Mozilla fail and messages are lost



14 years ago
14 years ago


(Reporter: hoecoop, Assigned: mscott)


Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)




14 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4

I recently converted from Mozilla 1.7.x to Thunderbird 1.0.2 (20050317) at both
home (Ubuntu Hoary) and work (Red Hat 8).  Both places I had profiles with
multiple POP accounts (2 at work on different servers, 3 at home with 2 on the
same server).  Rather than using the import function, which has not worked well
for me in the past, I used the method described below. In both cases I lost
email because the message filters did not import correctly.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set up accounts in Thunderbird with same settings as Mozilla.
2. Copy address book files and mail folders to corresponding places in
Thunderbird data, including msgFilterRules.dat
3. Retrieve email in Thunderbird.

Actual Results:  
As filters were encountered, Thunderbird would report it could not find the
folder and was disabling the filter.  I could then go to the message filters and
reset the folders.  However, when I looked for the messages that triggered the
filter, it was nowhere to be found.

Expected Results:  
When I have encountered this behavior in the past with Seamonkey, messages
always ended up in the Inbox and could be filtered once I reset the filter.  If
filters cannot be properly imported as described above, at the least Thunderbird
should drop the messages in Inbox as well when a bad filter is encountered.
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.