Closed Bug 303173 Opened 16 years ago Closed 14 years ago

Firefox hangs (does not usefully respond) after loading simple page with two empty applet tags

Categories

(Firefox :: Extension Compatibility, defect)

x86
Windows XP
defect
Not set
critical

Tracking

()

RESOLVED INVALID

People

(Reporter: bj, Unassigned)

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6

When I open a page with this text:
=================================================
<html>
<head><title>V</title></head>
<body>


<applet code="v.class"></applet>
<applet code="v.class"></applet>


</body>
</html>
=================================================

(The applet doesn't exist.)

The "busy/stop" button comes on and stays on.  Even after I stop the page no
other tab can be loaded or reloaded.  Exiting leaves a firefox.exe process
running.  Some features work:  I can create and delete tabs, and closing with
more than one tab gives me a warning (and after I say close the window vanishes
but the process remains).


Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open the specified file.
2.
3.

Actual Results:  
No other pages can be loaded.
Exiting leaves a firefox process around.

Expected Results:  
Allowed other pages to be opened.
Not left a hanging process.

I load these extensions:  Adblock (disabling it has no effect on the bug), Image
Zoon, IE View, Web Developer, tabbrowser extensions, googlebar, link visitor,
spellbound and spellbound component.
Reporter: Do you have Java/the JRE installed, if yes which version (you can get
the version by opening the URL about:plugins and looking for Java there)?
wfm here so with a current trunk build and JRE 1.5.0_04
WFM
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050808
Firefox/1.0+
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
The problem seems to be related to the Adblock extension.  On two separate
systems (one with JRE 1.5.0_04, I didn't check the other) I was able to
reproduce the problem with Adblock installed (disabled or enabled), but the
problem did not occur with Adblock uninstalled.  Reinstall Adblock and the
problem reappears.

(If course, this doesn't rule out other extensions I have loaded as being a
contributing factor.)
Resolving as INVALID per comment #4.

Reporter, if you're still having this problem with the latest version of Adblock, you might consider reporting this to the extension's author.  If you've since come to believe this is really a Firefox bug and not a problem with an extension, feel free to re-open this bug and provide Steps To Reproduce that will work with the latest release of Firefox when using a clean profile.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 14 years ago
Component: General → Extension Compatibility
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.