shortcut keys in menus are left-aligned instead of right aligned.

NEW
Unassigned

Status

()

--
trivial
13 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: pascalc, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050910 (No IDN)
Firefox/1.4

All shortcuts in menus are left aligned while on windows (XP/Luna at least),
shortcuts are always right-aligned.

I don't really care about it but apparently there has been some focus recently
on making Firefox looking more integrated into the OS. Same problem for Thundebird.
Created attachment 196065 [details]
screenshot of the problem

here is a screenshot of the problem, on the left Adobre photoshop, on the right
Firefox. All the windows applications I know have their shortcuts right-aligned
Bug 27349 is WONTFIX, but bug 88212 and bug bug 38462 were duped to bug 38367,
and it's marked fixed. I'm confused :)
bug 38367 actually created the current setup whereby they're left-aligned in a
second column.  Making them right-aligned actually looks a little sloppy because
you end up with the following options in the File menu, all ever so slightly
smaller than the previous item.  

Ctrl+N
Ctrl+T
Ctrl+L

Just to be sure though, I tested it looks like we're pretty much right on
Windows for true native menus.

Tested Windows:
Right-aligned: IE, TextPad, Notepad, Outlook Express (native menus)
Left-aligned: Outlook 2003 (non-native menus)

Mac/GNOME is a different story, it seems, but at least on Windows this is
correct and shouldn't change.
On Mac, the shortcuts are displayed in menus with the command-icon center
aligned, and icons for modifier keys (shift, alt) to the left and the letter-key
to the right.

Firefox seems to play along with rather nicely.

Updated

11 years ago
Whiteboard: [wontfix? as per comment #3]

Comment 5

10 years ago
And Linux?


xref Bug 402117 – menu shortcuts are right aligned when opening menu first time
Component: Shell Integration → Theme
QA Contact: shell.integration → theme

Comment 6

6 years ago
hi, i am a noob so how can i get started in fixing this bug
(In reply to Mike Connor [:mconnor] from comment #3)
> bug 38367 actually created the current setup whereby they're left-aligned in
> a
> second column.  Making them right-aligned actually looks a little sloppy
> because
> you end up with the following options in the File menu, all ever so slightly
> smaller than the previous item.  
> 
> Ctrl+N
> Ctrl+T
> Ctrl+L
> 
> Just to be sure though, I tested it looks like we're pretty much right on
> Windows for true native menus.
> 
> Tested Windows:
> Right-aligned: IE, TextPad, Notepad, Outlook Express (native menus)
> Left-aligned: Outlook 2003 (non-native menus)

So Firefox actually does *not* behave like IE, Notepad et al.
Component: Theme → Themes
Product: Firefox → Toolkit
Whiteboard: [wontfix? as per comment #3]
Version: 1.5.0.x Branch → unspecified
(In reply to Nikhil Johny from comment #6)
> hi, i am a noob so how can i get started in fixing this bug

I believe this can be fixed by adding this to toolkit/themes/winstripe/global/menu.css:

.menu-accel-container {
  -moz-box-pack: end;
}

Comment 9

6 years ago
(In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #8)
> (In reply to Nikhil Johny from comment #6)
> > hi, i am a noob so how can i get started in fixing this bug
> 
> I believe this can be fixed by adding this to
> toolkit/themes/winstripe/global/menu.css:
> 
> .menu-accel-container {
>   -moz-box-pack: end;
> }

thank you for the reply. i did add the code in the menu.css, how can i check if it works for myself. another problem is that i didn't understand how the code works. is there a documentation that i can refer to?
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.