Indeed, Opera is much faster here. Is this due to extensive use of getElementById in the script? Has it become better / is it fixed in a trunk build (I seem to recall there was a related check-in)?
I tried various ways, thinking that getElementById would be the most efficient. The variations seemed to have no effect on the total time. That led me to wonder if this is a layout problem. This inital report was using yesterday's nightly release build. I tried with today's nightly trunk build, and yes, all is well there. Sorry, i should have tried that first.
Unless you are sure which checkin fixed the bug, it's "WFM", not "FIXED".
This only takes 4 secs on Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b2) Gecko/2007121016 Firefox/3.0b2. On Opera (same machine) it takes about half the time but it also doesn't work: the rows remain shown all the time. I'm inclined to go with WORKSFORME if nobody objects.
(In reply to comment #6) > I'm inclined to go with WORKSFORME if nobody objects. I have to object. The testcase is still notably slower on trunk than it is in Safari or Opera (which aren't instant either). Only IE need much more time than we do. Besides, my hardware should be better than average, so that shouldn't really be the problem.