Deletion of one mail account deletes all accounts with same base server identity (server1 also deletes server10, server11...)

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 273311

Status

Thunderbird
Account Manager
--
critical
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 273311
12 years ago
12 years ago

People

(Reporter: Steve R, Assigned: Scott MacGregor)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

12 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050923 Thunderbird/1.0.7

I had 12 email accounts plus the local folders configured.  I deleted one account, which coincidentally had been assigned id1/server1 in the prefs.js, 
and the deletion appears to have deleted all accounts that have server1*.  The 
accounts with server10, server11, server12, and server13 have all been 
removed from the prefs.js along with server1.  It's possible that the 
deletion used the id1* instead of the server1* but server10 has id9
and this doesn't seem likely. 

I have an old backup of prefs.js from 7/9/04 on an earlier version of
Thunderbir).  I used this prefs.js as a comparison to the now 
changed prefs.js from v1.0.7 of Thunderbird after the account deletion.
I did a little reverse engineering to try and understand what happened.

Here is the entries for the accounts in the 7/9/04 backup:
user_pref("mail.account.account1.identities", "id1");
user_pref("mail.account.account1.server", "server1");
user_pref("mail.account.account10.identities", "id9");
user_pref("mail.account.account10.server", "server10");
user_pref("mail.account.account11.identities", "id10");
user_pref("mail.account.account11.server", "server11");
user_pref("mail.account.account12.identities", "id11");
user_pref("mail.account.account12.server", "server12");
user_pref("mail.account.account13.identities", "id12");
user_pref("mail.account.account13.server", "server13");
user_pref("mail.account.account2.server", "server2");
user_pref("mail.account.account3.identities", "id2");
user_pref("mail.account.account3.server", "server3");
user_pref("mail.account.account4.identities", "id3");
user_pref("mail.account.account4.server", "server4");
user_pref("mail.account.account5.identities", "id4");
user_pref("mail.account.account5.server", "server5");
user_pref("mail.account.account6.identities", "id5");
user_pref("mail.account.account6.server", "server6");
user_pref("mail.account.account7.identities", "id6");
user_pref("mail.account.account7.server", "server7");
user_pref("mail.account.account8.identities", "id7");
user_pref("mail.account.account8.server", "server8");
user_pref("mail.account.account9.identities", "id8");
user_pref("mail.account.account9.server", "server9");

Here is the accounts from the current prefs.js
after deleting just one account, id1/server1.

user_pref("mail.account.account2.server", "server2");
user_pref("mail.account.account3.identities", "id2,id13");
user_pref("mail.account.account3.server", "server3");
user_pref("mail.account.account4.identities", "id3");
user_pref("mail.account.account4.server", "server4");
user_pref("mail.account.account5.identities", "id4");
user_pref("mail.account.account5.server", "server5");
user_pref("mail.account.account6.identities", "id5");
user_pref("mail.account.account6.server", "server6");
user_pref("mail.account.account7.identities", "id6");
user_pref("mail.account.account7.server", "server7");
user_pref("mail.account.account8.identities", "id7");
user_pref("mail.account.account8.server", "server8");
user_pref("mail.account.account9.identities", "id8");
user_pref("mail.account.account9.server", "server9");

The other sections of the prefs.js for the mail account
settings were similarly altered to remove references to 
anything with id10, id11, id12, id13 or server10, server11,
server12, and server13.

I searched for a similar bug report and did not find one.  I apologize
if I overlooked it.

Please contact me if you need any more information.

Reproducible: Didn't try

Steps to Reproduce:
1.  Configure more than 10 mail accounts.
2.  Delete the account with id1.
3.  Either attempt to access the accounts with id10, id11, etc, or
    restart Thunderbird.  If accessing before restart, a crash will
    occur.  Note: Talkback data was sent on this crash.
    
    After restart, all accounts with id1* are removed from the folder
    browser.

I think this account deletion did enough damage. :)  I didn't want to 
try and reproduce it.  I am still trying to figure out how to safely 
correct the problem.
Actual Results:  
After "successful" deletion of account with id1/server1, I attempted to 
access the account with id9/server10 from the left-side folder 
browser.  As soon as I selected the "collapse" icon for a folder
tree, Thunderbird crashed.  I sent the Talkback info but limited 
my response at that time.

After restarting Thunderbird, I noticed that the account with 
id9/server10 was gone.  (I figured out later how to map the
account to the id/server numbers).  I then noticed that
several other accounts were also gone. 

Expected Results:  
Only one account should be deleted from the Thunderbird Account Manager.

Comment 1

12 years ago
This bug is/should be fixed in Thunderbird 1.5 (by the patch from bug 273311 comment 8).

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 273311 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.