View cert details title encoding problem

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 234856

Status

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 234856
13 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: u81239, Unassigned)

Tracking

({intl})

1.9.1 Branch
x86
Windows XP

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [psm-cert-manager])

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1

Hi,

In the nl-NL l10n of Thunderbird 1.5, imported certificates get an "Geïmporteerd certificaat" title. (Actually, only one of the two I have has it, I don’t know why exactly.) In any case, this shows up fine in the certificate itself, however in the ‘view certificate details’ window (viewCertDetails.xul), this shows up in the title as:

   Certificaatweergave:"Geïmporteerd certificaat"

Aside from the lack of a space between the localised string and the quote around the certificate name, there is an obvious encoding problem here :).

This string is constructed in viewCertDetails.js:

 88 function setWindowName()
 89 {
 90   //  Get the cert from the cert database
 91   var certdb = Components.classes[nsX509CertDB].getService(nsIX509CertDB);
 92   var myName = self.name;
 93   bundle = srGetStrBundle("chrome://pippki/locale/pippki.properties");
 94   var cert;
 95 
 96   var certDetails = bundle.GetStringFromName('certDetails');
 97   if (myName != "") {
 98     document.title = certDetails + '"' + myName + '"'; // XXX l10n?

Seems the ‘self.name’ doesn’t receive a correctly encoded string.

Also, with regard to the XXX l10n, it would indeed nice to be able to specify the entire string (thus including the quotes, which are different in e.g. Japanese).


~Grauw

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Have an imported certificate in the nl-NL localisation (in my case, a Thawte S/MIME one, but I don’t think that matters), or any certificate with non-ASCII characters in its root field.
2. Go to Options / Privacy / Security / View certificates / <select imported certificate> / Show
3. Observe the encoding error in the title bar (the root field of the certificate itself correctly shows the text ‘Geïmporteerd certificaat’)
Actual Results:  
Certificaatweergave:"Geïmporteerd certificaat"


Expected Results:  
Certificaatweergave: "Geïmporteerd certificaat"
(Reporter)

Updated

13 years ago
Keywords: intl

Comment 1

13 years ago
Maybe as a consequence of the mangling above: get Bugzilla/bonsai/lxr to correctly handle non-ascii characters?
(Reporter)

Comment 2

13 years ago
It’s not a Bugzilla problem, this encoding problem is what I get to see in Thunderbird.


~Grauw

Comment 3

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #2)
> It’s not a Bugzilla problem, this encoding problem is what I get to see in
> Thunderbird.

Actual Results:  
Certificaatweergave:"Geïmporteerd certificaat"

Expected Results:  
Certificaatweergave: "Geïmporteerd certificaat"

I suppose you meant "Geïmporteerd certificaat" as expected result (with i-umlaut), so there seems to be some problem with the bugzilla encoding too.  This also shows up when viewing patches that contain non-ascii characters.
Assignee: mscott → nobody
Reporter, does this issue still occur in the latest supported 2.0.0.x / Shredder trunk nightlies?

(1.5.0.x is now end-of-life, and the latest supported 2.0.0.x is 2.0.0.16)
Whiteboard: closeme 2008-09-18
(Reporter)

Comment 5

10 years ago
Yes, it still occurs.
Version: unspecified → 2.0
(Reporter)

Comment 6

10 years ago
In Thunderbird 2.0.0.16, that is. I did not try the trunk.
Keywords: qawanted
Whiteboard: closeme 2008-09-18
Laurens could you try to see if it still happens with
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-1.9.1/ ?
(Reporter)

Comment 8

9 years ago
I don’t currently have any certificates with the name “Geïmporteerd certificaat” (“Imported certificate”) anymore in Thunderbird 2, or any other certificates that cause non-us-ascii to show in the window title. Certificates expire every year, so probably since then I replaced them with new certificates. I don’t know under which conditions a certificate gets this name  “Geïmporteerd certificaat”, so I don’t know how to reproduce.

Do you have reason to suspect this issue is fixed?
(Reporter)

Comment 9

9 years ago
Oh, looks like I still have one after all (out of three certificates, only the third shows this text).

Yes, the issue is still there. Note that in the “Certificate fields” box on the “Details” tab, where it shows the same text and seems to take its window-title from, there is no encoding error.

So, to reiterate the three problems here:

1. The title has an encoding error, the UTF-8 looks to be read as ISO-8859-1
2. Quotes are hardcoded and thus not localisable
3. Space missing between colon and quote
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Component: Preferences → Security
Ever confirmed: true
Keywords: qawanted
QA Contact: preferences → thunderbird
Version: 2.0 → 3.0
Assignee: nobody → kaie
Component: Security → Security: UI
Product: Thunderbird → Core
QA Contact: thunderbird → ui
Version: 3.0 → 1.9.1 Branch

Updated

9 years ago
Assignee: kaie → nobody
Whiteboard: [psm-cert-manager]

Updated

5 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 234856
(Assignee)

Updated

2 years ago
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.