Closed Bug 338839 Opened 14 years ago Closed 14 years ago

100% CPU and memory usage increases continuously

Categories

(Firefox :: General, defect)

x86
Windows XP
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 335251

People

(Reporter: bengt.erik.soderstrom, Unassigned)

References

()

Details

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060522 Minefield/3.0a1
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060522 Minefield/3.0a1

Loading http://www.idg.se, a publication for computer professionals in Sweden, using Minefield, present trunk builds, or Seamomkey present trunk builds causes 100% CPU and memory use will increase enormously. 
I have tested with my Windows XP VC8 Express builds and with Windows XP MinGW builds and Linux Seamonkey builds, all with the same results. Furthermore I have tested with and without Cairo, same results.

Other browsers like the official Firefox 1.5.0.3, Opera, IE6 do not show this behaviour.

I am aware that there are many similar bugs filed more or less describing such a behaviour for various URLs, but I fear that we have here a thing specific to the present trunk builds of Minefield and Seamonkey. 




Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Use Minefield or Seamonkey trunk built browser
2.Load http://www.idg.se

Actual Results:  
Page loads rather slowly, 100% CPU is used, and soon all available memory inclusive what is available in the swap area will be used. The system becomes unresponsive. 

Expected Results:  
Page should load and only some % CPU shall be used, just like Firefox 1.5.0.3.

It is of course possible that the coding of the www.idg.se is broken, I am not the one who can tell...I think it is best if someone with more expertise can examine.
Can't reproduce this...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060521 Minefield/3.0a1 - Build ID: 2006052203

The CPU usage went up and then back down after the page loaded.

(In reply to comment #1)
> Can't reproduce this...
> 
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060521
> Minefield/3.0a1 - Build ID: 2006052203
> 
> The CPU usage went up and then back down after the page loaded.
> 

Well, Ryan, to make sure I did not screw up with my own builds, I just downloaded and installed an official nightly:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060522 Minefield/3.0a1

and... the same results ....100% CPU, nearly 500 MB memory consumed after some 3-4 minutes...

The 100% CPU can perhaps be explained by my 256 MB RAM, and that intensive swapping takes place. Anyhow the whole thing is very wrong. As I said, FF 1.5.0.3 is working fine.

Of course it cannot be excluded that idg.se made some coding errors. I have mailed their web responsible lady and explained. I will post her response here.
  




Regression range: 1.9a1_2006030704 - 1.9a1_2006030713.
Looks similar to bug 335251.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 335251 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.