User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20060718 SeaMonkey/1.0.3 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20060718 SeaMonkey/1.0.3 I attached 2 MS Word (.doc) files and 2 PDF (.pdf) files, totalling 516 KB in size, to an e-mail and repeatedly tried to send it from the Mail & Newsgroups section of SeaMonkey 1.0.3 (SeaMonkey 1.0.2 and Mozilla 1.1.13 behaved identically). Sometimes an error message appeared: 'Sending of message failed. The message …… connecting to SMTP failed ……'. At other times connection was established after a while, the progress bar started moving, but after 2 or 3 minutes it had only reached about 30% and soon the error message re-appeared. I tried shortening the titles of the files, avoiding any characters other than alphabetic ones and a period, with no success. I also checked and re-checked my mail account settings. E-mails without attachments go without any trouble. When I used SeaMonkey's Navigator to access my ISP's (BT Yahoo! broadband; btinternet.com) mail pages directly in order to send the same message, with the same attachments, from there, the message went off almost instantaneously. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Create a new e-mail. 2. Attach files totalling around 500 KB. 3. Click 'Send'. Actual Results: Sometimes an error message appears: 'Sending of message failed. The message …… connecting to SMTP failed ……'. At other times connection is established after a while, the progress bar starts moving, but after 2 or 3 minutes it has only reached about 30% and soon the error message re-appears. Expected Results: The message with its attachments should be sent, taking only a second or two. eMac G4 (PPC), OS X 10.4.7. Classic theme.
After writing the above report, I tried sending the e-mail (with all four attachments) once more. This time it went OK — proving that there is nothing wrong with my account settings — but it took several minutes to do so. And the fact that doing it directly from my ISP's mail page takes barely a second proves that the problem does not lie with my ISP.
Version: unspecified → 1.8 Branch
I have to withdraw this bug report. I tried again this morning with the same attachments and it went quite smoothly and quickly. I now believe that the problem may have been caused by the extremely hot weather (yesterday was the hottest July day in London since 1911) affecting my hard drive.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.