Use google.at/de instead of google.com

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

Mozilla Localizations
de / German
--
enhancement
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
12 years ago
12 years ago

People

(Reporter: u49640, Assigned: atopal)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

12 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0

the german firefox uses google.com as search provider, but it should better use google.de (or google.at for the austrian version, if a de.AT version exists)

this provides better (localized) results 

so i'd suggest changing

<Url type="text/html" method="GET" template="http://www.google.com/search">

to

<Url type="text/html" method="GET" template="http://www.google.at/search">

in searchplugins\google.xml

this gives the options on the google page to switch to german language only, or pages from austria only (if google.at is used)

Reproducible: Always

Updated

12 years ago
Assignee: kairo → a.topal
(Assignee)

Comment 1

12 years ago
I'd like to do that, but I don't think I'm supposed to change that.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
It looks like an INVALID to me.

The Google searchplugin should work ok and properly redirect to google.$local_tld, if only you don't have mess in your Google cookies. ;-)
(Reporter)

Comment 3

12 years ago
I have tons of google cookies ;)

i've just tried removing all cookies from google, and i got redirected to google.at.

i have no idea, what setting on google did this (i have it set to austria)...

but since the default setting works, this would "only" save the one redirect... dont know if its worth changing for this. (but changing to google.at would have worked with any google setting ;)

Comment 4

12 years ago
Resolving WORKSFORME, based on the comment of Matthias.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
It happened to me once, a few months ago, when I changed the language setting in GMail. Maybe this is what caused you trouble, Matthias...
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.