Causes Windows to crash (Blue Screen)

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

()

Firefox
General
--
critical
RESOLVED INVALID
12 years ago
11 years ago

People

(Reporter: ReligBookFreak, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

12 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0

The problem usually happens after I have been web surfing for at least 30 minutes, and have several tabs open.  After I close all the tabs, thereby shutting down Firefox, Windows crashes and gives me a Blue Screen.  Sometimes there is a 5-10 second delay from the time I close Firefox until Windows crashes; other times, Windows crashes immediately after closing Firefox.  This happens about 75 percent of the time.  The other 25 percent of the time, everything works normally (that is, nothing crashes).

Prior to installing Firefox 2.0, I had no problems with Windows crashing.  Firefox 1.5 seemed to work very well alongside Windows.

The only extensions that I have installed are IE View Lite 1.2.5; NoScript 1.1.4.5.061206; and Print Image 0.4.  I have no themes except the Firefox 2.0 default.

Here is my list of plug-ins:

Mozilla Default Plug-in
    File name: npnul32.dll
    Default Plug-in

RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
    File name: nppl3260.dll
    RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In

RealPlayer Version Plugin
    File name: nprpjplug.dll
    6.0.12.1739

QuickTime Plug-in 7.1.3
    File name: npqtplugin3.dll
    File name: npqtplugin2.dll
    File name: npqtplugin.dll

Shockwave Flash
    File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16

Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 9
    File name: NPJava11.dll
    File name: NPJava12.dll
    File name: NPJava13.dll
    File name: NPJava14.dll
    File name: NPJava32.dll
    File name: NPJPI150_09.dll
    File name: NPOJI610.dll
    Java Plug-in 1.5.0_09 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
    File name: npdsplay.dll
    Npdsplay dll

Microsoft® DRM
    File name: npwmsdrm.dll
    DRM Store Netscape Plugin

    File name: npdrmv2.dll
    DRM Netscape Network Object

Reproducible: Sometimes

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Web surf for at least 30 minutes, and have several tabs open.
2. Close all the tabs (shutting down Firefox)
3. Windows will crash (with Blue Screen) about 75 percent of the time

Actual Results:  
The problem usually happens after I have been web surfing for at least 30 minutes, and have several tabs open.  After I close all the tabs, thereby shutting down Firefox, Windows crashes and gives me a Blue Screen.  Sometimes there is a 5-10 second delay from the time I close Firefox until Windows crashes; other times, Windows crashes immediately after closing Firefox.  This happens about 75 percent of the time.  The other 25 percent of the time, everything works normally (that is, nothing crashes).

Expected Results:  
I expect Firefox to close without causing Windows to crash.
Firefox can't crash windows because Firefox is a userspace application.
Only a kernel mode driver can crash windows and it seems that Firefox triggers a bug in one of your drivers (graphic card, sound card...).

But the bug itself is one of your drivers or you have a hardware problem and it doesn't matter if you get this only with Firefox.

-> invalid
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID

Comment 2

12 years ago
please follow steps from bug 321723 comment 8
(Reporter)

Comment 3

12 years ago
I have been able to determine that my Bit Defender AntiVirus (v.10) uses a large amount of computer resources whenever I close several Firefox tabs at once.  It then causes Windows to crash with a Blue Screen.

I realize that this is probably a Bit Defender issue, rather than a Firefox issue, but do you know of any incompatibility between Bit Defender and Firefox?
Status: RESOLVED → UNCONFIRMED
Resolution: INVALID → ---

Comment 4

12 years ago
please do as we say.

in addition to
please follow steps from bug 321723 comment 8

you should probably configure verifier.exe:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617
-> invalid per comment 3, not a firefox issue
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago11 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.