User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20061208 Firefox/18.104.22.168 Build Identifier: Thunderbird version 2 beta 2 (20070116) Autocompletion from LDAP in the compose window used to work a few minutes ago, but after upgrading to 2.0b2 and then also after downgrading to 2.0b1, it doesn't work anymore. (So it's not 2.0b2's fault, it just randomly works or doesn't work.) Oh, and it doesn't work even if there are no matches from my address book. I.e. it works *never*. I'm sorry I could not figure out what exactly it was that made it work/not work. I'd love to see this fixed for Thunderbird 2.0! Reproducible: Sometimes
This issue is present in Tbird 1.5 and also in the last stable version 22.214.171.124 (20080213). I refer to the Windows versions. This is a random bug with a mean frequency of more or less 10%. 1. Autocompletion is OK on an addressline (N) 2. Press Enter to go to the next addressline (N+1) 3. type first letters of a name. Nothing happens; this new addressline is a dead line 4. Press Backspace up to the addressline N 5. Press Enter to go to the next addressline 6. type first letters of a name. Autocompletion works again and addresses appear. This issue seems to not happen without activation of LDAP autocompletion. That's a major issue because this is the #1 complaint against the product among our 80.000 users. Thanks to spend a bit of time for solving it !
I'm not seeing this problem with my LDAP server (IBM) Could you possibly follow the instructions here: http://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:LDAP_Address_Books To turn on some logging. Maybe it will show the problem.
Hi Mike Our major used version is a 1.5.0.x. So the comment #1 discribe in fact the steps to reproduce the issue in that version. But I had try and succeed to reproduce it in the last stable version (126.96.36.199). But I think my result in 188.8.131.52 is an imitation of the 1.5.0.x result. There are two different issues on the addressing pane. One which happens in the 1.5.0.x version and another in the 2.0.0.x. As 1.5 is discontinued, I naturally focused on the 184.108.40.206 issue. I have found a way to always reproduce it: 1. Create a new mail. (Addressing pane shows only 4 empty address lines) 2. Resize the addressing pane to show 10 lines 3. Click on the first address line 4. Enter 5 mail adresses each ended by Enter key. (the cursor is blinking slowly near the small address card picture in the sixth line ) 5. Resize the addressing pane up to the fourth line and then down to the tenth line. (the cursor has then disappeared) 6. Type any characters. They appear in the sixth line but the address line is now dead. I suppose now it is less an ldap issue than a UI focus issue.
Laurent: can you try to reproduce w/o LDAP enabled? If it happens without LDAP, it's easier to get people to reproduce, fix, test.
(In reply to comment #4) > Laurent: can you try to reproduce w/o LDAP enabled? If it happens without LDAP, > it's easier to get people to reproduce, fix, test. Hi David Here are the results for the issue I described in comment #3 : TB 220.127.116.11 : Case Issue ? w/o AB nor LDAP : no with only AB : yes with only LDAP : yes with AB and LDAP : yes TB 1.5 : w/o AB nor LDAP : no with only AB : yes with only LDAP : yes with AB and LDAP : yes I found a more simple way to reproduce the bug : 1. Create a new mail. (Addressing pane shows only 4 empty address lines) 2. Click on the first address line 3. Enter 4 mail adresses each ended by Enter key. (the cursor is blinking slowly near the small address card picture in the fifth line ) 4. Resize the addressing pane to show 6+ lines (the cursor has then disappeared) 5. Type any characters. They appear in the fifth line but the address line is now dead. So, I really think now this is an UI issue. It seems to exist two different focus; one on the address line as a text box which waits some keyboard strikes and one which follows the elements activated by the mouse events. So autocompletion seems to need the two kinds of focus on the address line to work.
> TB 18.104.22.168 : > Case Issue ? > w/o AB nor LDAP : no > with only AB : yes > with only LDAP : yes > with AB and LDAP : yes Based on these tests, updating the title. Possibly related: bug 281832.
Summary: LDAP autocompletion doesn't work reliably → Email Address Autocompletion doesn't work reliably
Assignee: mscott → nobody
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Summary: Email Address Autocompletion doesn't work reliably → Email Address Autocompletion doesn't work reliably for ldap
Using comment 5, I almost marked this WFM. I reproduced on last attempt
Severity: normal → minor
Keywords: qawanted → reproducible
OS: Linux → All
Summary: Email Address Autocompletion doesn't work reliably for ldap → Email Address Autocompletion doesn't work reliably after addressing area has been resized
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.