Page does not render correctly (news.yahoo.com)

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

()

Core
Layout
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
11 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: faaborg, Unassigned)

Tracking

({regression, testcase})

Trunk
x86
All
regression, testcase
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

Attachments

(4 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

11 years ago
The images of the 2008 democratic candidates should line up (Hilary Clinton, John Edwards, Barack Obama) at http://news.yahoo.com/fc/US/Presidential_Election_2008
Created attachment 268148 [details]
unminised testcase
Created attachment 268156 [details]
testcase

It seems that the font size is bigger on trunk with the testcase, which is causing the odd layout. Not sure why it is bigger on trunk.
This regressed between 2006-01-21 and 2006-01-23:
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=all&branch=HEAD&branchtype=match&dir=&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=explicit&mindate=2006-01-21+04&maxdate=2006-01-23+09&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot
I guess this is somehow a regression from bug 182670, then.
Blocks: 182670
Component: General → Layout
Keywords: regression, testcase
OS: Mac OS X → All
Product: Firefox → Core
QA Contact: general → layout

Comment 4

11 years ago
INVALID, I think; changing the rounding probably caused the font size to round up to 14px rather than down to 13px. (14px is correct, I think.)

Also, the site looks broken for me in a stock FF 2.0 build with a non-default font size. You'd think Yahoo could find a web designer that would test their websites more thoroughly...
(In reply to comment #4)
> font size. You'd think Yahoo could find a web designer that would test their
> websites more thoroughly...

Well, they probably have tested with official released builds of Firefox. So I guess it looks fine in Firefox 2, because of a bug? Also, I'm wondering why it also looks fine in Opera9.20 and IE7.

Comment 6

11 years ago
(In reply to comment #5)
> Also, I'm wondering why it
> also looks fine in Opera9.20 and IE7.

Try setting your IE text size to large.

Comment 7

11 years ago
(In reply to comment #6)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > Also, I'm wondering why it
> > also looks fine in Opera9.20 and IE7.
> 
> Try setting your IE text size to large.

Oh, wait, I see your point...  I'm pretty sure we don't care about differences in text frame sizes on the order of a fraction of a pixel, though; anyone who expects that kind of precision is bound to run into problems eventually (the site could easily break if the hinting algorithm used by the browser changed, for example.)
I do wonder about the 84.5% font-size the page uses. Given default browser font sizes of 16px, that gives 13.52.  Martijn, how high does that percentage have to get before IE gives a 14px font size?  Note that 87.5% would give 14.0, so I assume it would be then or before then.
Created attachment 268220 [details]
testcase2

Well, I used this testcase to get the computed font-size.
I used the offsetHeight hack, because afaik, there is no way to retrieve the computed style of an element directly in IE.
I get with IE7:
With font-size 100%, I get 17px.
With font-size 84.5%, I get 15px.
With font-size 87.5%, I get 15px (although the font is a bit bigger than previous one).

I get with Opera9.20 ( got these results from the "Developer Console"):
With font-size 100%, I get 17px.
With font-size 84.5%, I get 13px.
With font-size 87.5%, I get 14px.
In Opera9.2 the threshold from 13px to 14px seems to be between 87.4%/87.5%.

With branch builds, I get:
With font-size 100%, I get 16px.
With font-size 84.5%, I get 13.4667px.
With font-size 87.5%, I get 14px.

With trunk builds, I get:
With font-size 100%, I get 16px.
With font-size 84.5%, I get 13.5167px.
With font-size 87.5%, I get 14px.

0.845*16 gives 13.52 on my calcular, so current trunk builds seem more correct.
I guess this bug is indeed invalid.
Hmm...  Doesn't sound like the number coming out of IE is useful... :(
Created attachment 277532 [details]
updated testcase2

Apparently, there is a way in IE to get the computed style:
http://erik.eae.net/archives/2007/07/27/18.54.15/#comments
So I tried that solution. Unfortunately, this alerts '3' for some reason in IE. Still not useful.

Comment 12

2 years ago
Not reproducible in win-7,10 and XP with latest Nightly and Release versions.
Considering this I will mark this issue as Resolved-WORKSFORME. If anyone can still reproduce it, feel free to reopen the issue and provide more information. Thanks
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.