Closed Bug 399510 Opened 17 years ago Closed 17 years ago

KB article: Granting JavaScript access to the clipboard

Categories

(support.mozilla.org :: Knowledge Base Articles, task)

task
Not set
minor

Tracking

(Not tracked)

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: jason.barnabe, Assigned: ehsan.akhgari)

References

()

Details

Taking over...
Assignee: nobody → ehsan.akhgari
Done: <http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Granting+JavaScript+access+to+the+clipboard>
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 17 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
-Can you frame the intro more in terms of what problems would be solved by doing it instead of framing it in terms of why not to do it? Essentially, keep the same info, but say why someone would want to do it before why they wouldn't.
-The section titles are too long
-The first section's list should be bullets, not numbers.
-"A web site may read the clipboard data, and use it in malicious ways (for example, sending the data to a third party without your knowledge)." I don't see why a site would maliciously send your data to a third party - they'd maliciously use it themselves, unless you're talking about XSS.
-Pretty up the link to AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/852
-Would it be easier for users to navigate to the site they want to allow and have AllowClipboard Helper get the domain than try to explain to them what a domain is?
-Number 3 in the last section should be a bullet point under #2 because you don't want users doing both of these actions.
(In reply to comment #3)
> -Can you frame the intro more in terms of what problems would be solved by
> doing it instead of framing it in terms of why not to do it? Essentially, keep
> the same info, but say why someone would want to do it before why they
> wouldn't.

Done.

> -The section titles are too long

I changed the titles to make them shorter.  However, the previous titles might have been more readable...

> -The first section's list should be bullets, not numbers.

Done.

> -"A web site may read the clipboard data, and use it in malicious ways (for
> example, sending the data to a third party without your knowledge)." I don't
> see why a site would maliciously send your data to a third party - they'd
> maliciously use it themselves, unless you're talking about XSS.

Right.  I'll mention it as well.

> -Pretty up the link to AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/852

Done.

> -Would it be easier for users to navigate to the site they want to allow and
> have AllowClipboard Helper get the domain than try to explain to them what a
> domain is?

Hmmm, interesting point.  I have modified the article accordingly.

> -Number 3 in the last section should be a bullet point under #2 because you
> don't want users doing both of these actions.

Done.
One of the other problems with the long sections was that they included question marks, which makes linking to them directly harder.

The intro looks too long to me now. It also doesn't explicitly mention what the article is about. How about:

"Some web sites can benefit from having access to the copy/paste functionality of your system's clipboard.
* Those that use rich text editors (such as a web mail or weblog posting site)
* Those that copy useful information (like text samples, or maybe images) to the clipboard upon your request.
This article describes how to allow certain web sites to access your system clipboard and describes security and privacy issues this could cause."

"A web site may read the clipboard data, and use them in malicious ways or send them to a third party without your knowledge." "Data" is generally used as a singular noun, so this should be "...and use it in malicious ways or send it...".
(In reply to comment #5)
> One of the other problems with the long sections was that they included
> question marks, which makes linking to them directly harder.
> 
> The intro looks too long to me now. It also doesn't explicitly mention what the
> article is about. How about:
> 
> "Some web sites can benefit from having access to the copy/paste functionality
> of your system's clipboard.
> * Those that use rich text editors (such as a web mail or weblog posting site)
> * Those that copy useful information (like text samples, or maybe images) to
> the clipboard upon your request.
> This article describes how to allow certain web sites to access your system
> clipboard and describes security and privacy issues this could cause."

Done.

> "A web site may read the clipboard data, and use them in malicious ways or send
> them to a third party without your knowledge." "Data" is generally used as a
> singular noun, so this should be "...and use it in malicious ways or send
> it...".

I don't think you're right here.  Check out <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/data>, section "Usage note":

"... Today, data is used in English both as a plural noun meaning “facts or pieces of information” (These data are described more fully elsewhere) and as a singular mass noun meaning “information”: Not much data is available on flood control in Brazil. It is almost always treated as a plural in scientific and academic writing. In other types of writing it is either singular or plural..."

I think "data" in this context means "pieces of information".  Or maybe I'm mistaken?
answers.com says differently, but it doesn't matter. I've approved the article. Thanks!
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.