Mail- New message always put us-ascii for the Content-type: charset

VERIFIED FIXED in M5

Status

MailNews Core
Internationalization
P3
normal
VERIFIED FIXED
18 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: nhottanscp, Assigned: nhottanscp)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Assignee)

Description

18 years ago
This may be partially related to the restriction of the editor.
New message should put a correct Content-type: charset. Here's a list of things
we need to do.

1) Get a default charset when creating a new message (#3965). Convert the
default to mail charset (#3941) then remember the charset.
2) Update the charset when it's changed by the charset menu.
3) When sending the message, check the sending text and if ascii only then put
us-ascii (it is preferred to use unicode for this check because only range check
required, e.g. iso-2022-jp is 7bit only but not us-ascii).
4) Otherwise, use the remembered  charset for the Content-Type: charset.
5) Use that charset to convert from unicode.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Target Milestone: M4
(Assignee)

Comment 1

18 years ago
Target to M4, assign to myself (for now).

Updated

18 years ago
Summary: New message always put us-ascii for the Content-type: charset → Mail- New message always put us-ascii for the Content-type: charset
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Assignee: nhotta → ducarroz
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
(Assignee)

Comment 2

18 years ago
Reassigning to Jean-Francois, I have sent him a diff which includes the code
to get a default charset and usage of the unicode converter.
Task 2) and 3) may be done after M4.

Comment 3

18 years ago
JF, can you apply Naoki's patch, and then mark the bug for the milestone in
which you want to fix the other issues.
(Assignee)

Comment 4

18 years ago
I checked in the code, forgot to update the bug.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(Assignee)

Comment 5

18 years ago
Put a line below, the specified charset will be used for the Content-type:
user_pref("intl.charactesr_set_name", "iso-8859-1");
(Assignee)

Comment 6

18 years ago
Additional info for my last comment...
Put the line to prefs.js.

Updated

18 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED

Comment 7

18 years ago
There was a spelling error in the check in.

It really should be:

1. user_pref("intl.character_set_name", "iso-8859-1");

But the 4/5 check in had:

2. user_pref("intl.charactesr_set_name", "iso-8859-1");

Note the "charactesr" which has an extra "s" in it.

If you use 2 rather than 1 in pref.js, the headers go out correctly
as "iso-8859-1", otherwise it is "us-ascii".

I'm going to re-open this because this should not be confusing to
testers and developers who will be using it.
(Assignee)

Comment 8

18 years ago
I talked to Frank and agreed that this we can specify in the release note. I
will check in the fix for M5.
Target Milestone: M4 → M5
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Assignee: ducarroz → nhotta
Status: REOPENED → NEW
(Assignee)

Comment 9

18 years ago
Reassigning to myself. In M5, we also need to hook up charset menu and detect
us-ascii (see my original comment).
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago18 years ago
(Assignee)

Comment 10

18 years ago
The pref bug fix was checked in mozilla/mailnews/msgCompGlue.cpp rev 1.21

Updated

18 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Comment 11

18 years ago
** Checked with 4/12/99 Win32 build **

I can now use the correctly spelled name in prefs.js file
and send out iso-8859-1 mail.
The incorrect one no longer works.

This verifies the fix.
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.