Certain Unicode characters are not rendered.

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

RESOLVED WORKSFORME
10 years ago
10 years ago

People

(Reporter: gr+bugzilla, Unassigned)

Tracking

Details

Attachments

(2 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

10 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080512 Camino/1.6.1 (like Firefox/2.0.0.14)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080512 Camino/1.6.1 (like Firefox/2.0.0.14)

The following Unicode characters are not correctly rendered:

ș Ș ț Ț ă Ă 

Check the page in Firefox or Safari to see the correct rendrering. It should be something close to:

s,  S,  t,  T, a~  a~   


The problem occurs on a UTF-8 page, like this bug report form.

I am using Times and Courier as the default fonts, which are very complete, Unicode-wise.



Reproducible: Always
(Reporter)

Comment 1

10 years ago
Created attachment 322607 [details]
Correct rendering of șȘțȚăĂ (Safari, Mozilla)
(Reporter)

Comment 2

10 years ago
Created attachment 322608 [details]
Incorrect rendering of șȘțȚăĂ (Camino 1.6.1)
Works fine here.  Have you checked for and disabled corrupt and duplicate fonts in Font Book?

What happens if you try a fresh profile (you can use http://pimpmycamino.com/parts/troubleshoot-camino to automate that)?
Component: General → Page Layout
QA Contact: general → page.layout
(Reporter)

Comment 4

10 years ago
The problem is still here.

* I did a manual reset of Camino, trashing the prefs and the Camino app support folder.

* My fonts are OK, I checked for duplicates. I also tried a couple different ones and used the "Always use my fonts" option.

* I tried resetting my International settings in the Sys Preferences. There was a bug in a NetNewsWire beta long ago the was similar to this one.

Other ideas?

Comment 5

10 years ago
What's your character encoding set to? (View -> Text Encoding) In particular, is autodetect turned on?
(Reporter)

Comment 6

10 years ago
The text ecding is set to Unicode (UTF-8). Auto-detect was Off. I tested with Auto-detect On, but nothing changed.

I should mention that the chracters are displayed incorrectly even as they are entered in a text area. Not sure if it matters.

Gabriel, are you seeing this problem on this bug page, too, or just other places?  

Also, what language is top-most in the list of languages in the "Language" tab in the International pane of System Preferences?
(Reporter)

Comment 8

10 years ago
(In reply to comment #7)

The problem occurs elsewhere too.

It occurs whether I have Romanian, English or French selected as the fist language. (In my experience, what seems to cause problems is the Region setting in the International tab.)
If you try this with one of the Camino 2.0a1pre builds from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/nightly/latest-2.0-M1.9/ (use http://pimpmycamino.com/parts/troubleshoot-camino to run them because those builds will irrevocably and incompatibly change key files in your profile), does the problem go away?
(Reporter)

Comment 10

10 years ago
(In reply to comment #9)
> If you try this with one of the Camino 2.0a1pre builds f

I tried with the 2.0 alpha and I no longer have the problem. However, I now no longer have the problem in Camino 1.6.1 either :-s  

Could somehow this have been fixed by a Mac OS update?
(Reporter)

Comment 11

10 years ago
This may have been "fixed" by Troubleshoot Camino, since it may do a more thorough reset of my setting.

(In reply to comment #10)
> I tried with the 2.0 alpha and I no longer have the problem. However, I now no
> longer have the problem in Camino 1.6.1 either :-s  
Given that it worked with the 2.0a1pre build, it's possible that you were seeing bug 330687.  However, since it seemed to work with 1.6.1 afterwards (and since I was never able to see the bug with English as my top language and you could), it is possible that there's something in your profile that was causing the problem.  Troubleshoot Camino shouldn't be doing anything more than trashing the ~/Library/Application Support/Camino folder does (just non-destructively), so I'm not sure what might have happened there to "fix" this on 1.6.1.

For now I think we'll close this as WORKSFORME since 1.6.1 is working for you now, but feel free to comment again if you figure out what specifically in your profile was causing the problem, and to reopen this bug if the problem re-appears.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.