If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

Fix release notes (and other pages) for 2.0.0.16

VERIFIED FIXED

Status

www.mozilla.org
General
VERIFIED FIXED
9 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: Samuel Sidler (old account; do not CC), Assigned: Samuel Sidler (old account; do not CC))

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

The release notes in 2.0.0.15 included some text that basically said Firefox 2 was the bomb. It also linked to the features page, despite it being updated for Firefox 3.

This bug is for updating those release notes with lots of changes. CCing pascalc and kohei in case they wish to do the same with the localized versions of these pages. Also CCing John so he can look at the final, edited versions of these pages and give any sign off needed.

I'll be working on this tomorrow after the 20016 beta release.
thanlks, I'll decide  if we update it for european locales when we have the diff of changes.
I've checked in my changes, however the .htaccess redirect that exists keeps you from being able to see it on trunk. (I'd comment out the relevant line, but we need it for the beta period and the file will be edited soon and pushed live for 3.0.1.)

http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/mozilla.com/trunk/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.16/releasenotes/index.html?r1=16806&r2=16807

A list of changes:
  * Updated version number from 2.0.0.15 -> 2.0.0.16 (we do this every release)
  * Update release date (we do this every release)
  * Removed the "next-gen browser" line
  * Removed the "Extensions and Themes" section; this section only referred to 1.5.0.x upgrade issues. That ship has sailed.
  * Removed the duplicate three paragraphs at the top (how long have we been shipping those?)
  * Removed the "Features" part of the "what's new" section

I think I caught all the old instances of suckage, but a quick pass-through would be appreciated.

John, do you see anything else that should be changed for the 2.0.0.16 release notes (you can use the 2.0.0.15 ones and see what I changed).
(Assignee)

Updated

9 years ago
Blocks: 443404

Comment 3

9 years ago
This seems good to me. One question: I may be reading the changelog wrong, but did you remove the entire subheadline about the next-generation browser? That seems like a good plan if so.

Also, what about changing the headline to "Firefox 2 Release Notes" just to make that extra clear?

Other than that very optional suggestion, +1 from me on these edits.
(In reply to comment #3)
> This seems good to me. One question: I may be reading the changelog wrong, but
> did you remove the entire subheadline about the next-generation browser? That
> seems like a good plan if so.

Yep, sure did.

> Also, what about changing the headline to "Firefox 2 Release Notes" just to
> make that extra clear?

Ah, yeah. Will check in that change now.
I'm going to call this fixed since these changes are on trunk. They're not visible due to the htaccess redirect I mentioned above. I should be able to remove that after 3.0.1 goes to beta, then I'll do a second pass to make sure it looks right. (Aiming for tomorrow afternoon.)

Pascal, Kohei: The last two diffs had changes made to the relnotes. Feel free to follow along or not, whatever's best for you both.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Verified FIXED on http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.16/releasenotes/

I checked:

* everything in comment 2 / comment 3
* XHTML 1.0 Strict validation
* link validation
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Comment 7

9 years ago
one more thing: dveditz has rearranged advisory pages. "The following security issues were fixed" should link to
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox20.html#firefox2.0.0.16
Status: VERIFIED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
(In reply to comment #7)
> one more thing: dveditz has rearranged advisory pages. "The following security
> issues were fixed" should link to
> http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox20.html#firefox2.0.0.16

Kohei, I'm okay with leaving those links alone for now (they redirect to the main known-vuln page for all other releases) and fixing them for the next release. Does that sound good or do you think we should fix this now?
In reply to comment #8)
> > one more thing: dveditz has rearranged advisory pages. "The following security
> > issues were fixed" should link to
> > http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox20.html#firefox2.0.0.16
> 
> Kohei, I'm okay with leaving those links alone for now (they redirect to the
> main known-vuln page for all other releases) and fixing them for the next
> release. Does that sound good or do you think we should fix this now?
> 

I think it's strange to release a new version which only contains security patches, with a release notes page with a broken security issues link...
Sure it's only two clicks from the main page to the right place in the right page, but why not change the link?
(In reply to comment #9)
> I think it's strange to release a new version which only contains security
> patches, with a release notes page with a broken security issues link...
> Sure it's only two clicks from the main page to the right place in the right
> page, but why not change the link?

Because it means changing it in all locales. Pascal, what are your thoughts here?
Are only the release notes localized, or also the link to the security issues?
If it's only the release notes, you could probably do it with a find command:

find . -path '*releasenotes/index.html' -exec sed -i 's/projects\/security\/known-vulnerabilities.html#firefox2.0.0.16/security\/known-vulnerabilities\/firefox20.html#firefox2.0.0.16/' \{\} \;
The complaints in this bug are covered in another bug that I can't seem to find right now. I'm re-resolving this as FIXED.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago9 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Component: www.mozilla.org/firefox → www.mozilla.org
Product: Websites → Websites
Component: www.mozilla.org → General
Product: Websites → www.mozilla.org
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.