User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/2008071618 Iceweasel/3.0.1 (Debian-3.0.1-1)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/2008092416 Firefox/3.0.3
there is an inconsistency in the Import and Backup > Restore menu of the Organize Bookmarks tool.
When I use the English version of Firefox 3.0.3 and chose Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks from the menu and then Import and Backup > Restore I see „Choose file...“ and above that all files in /home/rallo/.mozilla/firefox/1lshi8co.default/bookmarkbackups that are named bookmarks-<specific_date>.json.
When I install the German version of Firefox 3.0.3 the files in /home/rallo/.mozilla/firefox/1lshi8co.default/bookmarkbackups are named Lesezeichen-<specific_date>.json. When I now chose Import and Backup > Restore I only see „Choose file...“ with no recommendations of formerly saved bookmark files above.
I would like to see these files in the German Firefox too, because /home/rallo/.mozilla/firefox/1lshi8co.default/bookmarkbackups is a litte hard to remember ;)
Please take a look at that.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. add a bookmark
2. chose Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks from the menu and then Import and Backup > Restore
I confirm this behavior (using the Czech version), the bookmarkbackups folder contains "bookmarks-2008-05-17.json" as the last file named in the locale independent manner. Bookmark manager offers to restore from these locale independent files, newer backups (like "zalozky-2008-11-16.json") are not offered.
BTW I think the bug component settings should be "Bookmarks & History" insetad of "Menus".
I confirm a similar bug on the German Mac OS version and have additonal information.
Looking at the bookmark backup folder it looks like there was a filename change and this is may be causing some problems:
gunther-walthers-imac:3qgbsw9b.default gunther$ ls bookmarkbackups/
Lesezeichen-2008-12-15.json Lesezeichen-2008-12-17.json Lesezeichen-2008-12-19.json bookmarks-2008-08-14.html bookmarks-2008-08-28.html
Lesezeichen-2008-12-16.json Lesezeichen-2008-12-18.json bookmarks-2008-08-12.html bookmarks-2008-08-19.html
When my bookmarks started to behave odd I followed the procedure of recovering booksmarks: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite but what I got were old bookmarks. I suspect that the recovery procedure goes into the backup folder and looks for "bookmarks" files and not "Lesezeichen-" files. While I don't know whether this is 100% the cause of above mentioned problems it could well be the root cause for a whole family of problems.
The good news for everyone who found this post is that there may be a up-to-date jsom file if you just look for the right file and rename it. Should work although I was still able to export html and recovered from bookmarks.html in the profile folder (have I mentioned that the problem shows up in more than one place 8-( )
Imho the benefit of having language dependent filenames are always never worth the trouble but people keep trying...
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 445704 ***