tigerdirect.com - sniffs for "Firefox", broken rendering in non-Firefox Gecko browsers

RESOLVED INCOMPLETE

Status

Tech Evangelism Graveyard
English US
RESOLVED INCOMPLETE
9 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: Scott, Unassigned)

Tracking

Details

(URL)

Attachments

(6 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

9 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20081031 SeaMonkey/1.1.13
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20081031 SeaMonkey/1.1.13

When adding an item on this site to the shopping cart, the page information is shifted to the right on SeaMonkey but not Firefox.  I tried Firefox since I had a problem placing an order on tigerdirect.com in SeaMonkey due to problems reading things with it being shifted.  It does not appear to be the coding or the site should not have rendered properly in Firefox.

I have attached screenshots to show what it looks like in SeaMonkey versus Firefox.

The page inside the attached files for an example is this item:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3883448&Sku=A179-2240

This happens on ANY item you view then add to the shopping cart.


Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. With SeaMonkey, go to TigerDirect.com and click on an item.
2. Add item to the shopping cart.
3. You will see that the added to cart page is shifted over in SeaMonkey.
4. With Firefox, go to TigerDirect.com and click on an item.
5. Add item to the shopping cart.
6. You will see that the added to cart page is shown correctly in Firefox.

If you would like to use the exact page I used in my screenshots, the URL is:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3883448&Sku=A179-2240


Actual Results:  
It doesn't really matter what item you try this with, the results are the same.



FIREFOX
Build Identifier:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4
(Reporter)

Comment 1

9 years ago
Created attachment 352686 [details]
SeaMonkey Example 1 of 4
(Reporter)

Comment 2

9 years ago
Created attachment 352688 [details]
SeaMonkey Example 2 of 4
(Reporter)

Comment 3

9 years ago
Created attachment 352689 [details]
SeaMonkey Example 3 of 4
(Reporter)

Comment 4

9 years ago
Created attachment 352690 [details]
SeaMonkey Example 4 of 4
(Reporter)

Comment 5

9 years ago
Created attachment 352692 [details]
FireFox Example 1 of 2
(Reporter)

Comment 6

9 years ago
Created attachment 352693 [details]
FireFox Example 2 of 2
Try the following (in SeaMonkey)

1. Write about:config into the URL bar and hit Enter.
2. Type "usera" (without the quotes) into the Filter box
3. Right-click anywhere on the page, then New => String
4. Name: type "general.useragent.extra.firesomething" (without the quotes), then Enter
5. Value: type "NOT Firefox/2.0.0.20" (without the quotes) then Enter.
6. Refresh the page (then repeat step 2 if necessary) and see that the new pref has been entered.
7. Browse to your site. Does it work?

If it does, then the error is with the site, which (like many others) uses broken browser-sniffing. If that is the case, this bug should be moved to the product "Tech Evangelism", the component corresponding the page's language, and be made "Blocking" to bug 334967.

To undo steps 1 to 6 above, replace steps 3 and following by:

3u. Right-click on general.useragent.extra.firesomething, then "Reset". The pref will immediately be set to the empty string, and it will disappear the next time you reload SeaMonkey.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

9 years ago
I tried what you suggested and it does make it work in SeaMonkey, so the site has broken browser-sniffing.  Moving this item to Tech Evangelism.
Blocks: 334967
Component: General → English US
Product: SeaMonkey → Tech Evangelism
Severity: major → normal
OS: Windows XP → All
Hardware: PC → All

Comment 9

9 years ago
Scott, please contact the site using a TE letter:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/site/procedures.html#contacting

and explain to them that they should be sniffing for 'Gecko', not 'Firefox' or any other individual browser name.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Summary: Page Renders correctly in Firefox but not in SeaMonkey → tigerdirect.com - sniffs for "Firefox", broken rendering in non-Firefox Gecko browsers

Comment 10

7 years ago
INCOMPLETE due to lack of activity since the end of 2009.

If someone is willing to investigate the issues raised in this bug to determine whether they still exist, *and* work with the site in question to fix any existing issues, please feel free to re-open and assign to yourself.

Sorry for the bugspam; filter on "NO MORE PRE-2010 TE BUGS" to remove.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Product: Tech Evangelism → Tech Evangelism Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.