From Bugzilla Helper: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux 2.2.16-trustee i686; en-US; m18) Gecko/20000729 BuildID: 2000072908 While converting my homepage to use XHTML 1.0 Transitional, I noticed that my blockquotes were not rendering correctly. Specifically, the border styles are applied and rendered, but the content is not, unless enclosed in <p>...</p> tags (this may apply to other such tags as div; I have not checked this). Using <p>...</p> is not an acceptable workaround, as it adds extra spacing (I am not willing to hack the stylesheet in order to counter that). I have three (almost) identical pages at the URL above. One has an extension of .html (delivered by the server as text/html), one has an extension of .xhtml (delivered by the server as text/plain) and one has an extension of .xml (delivered by the server as text/xml). The latter two pages (.xhtml and .xml) render correctly. The first doesn not. Interestingly, when the .xhtml page is loaded from the filesystem, it does not render correctly either. (A guess: when loading from the filesystem, Mozilla guesses a .xhtml file's Content-Type as text/html). Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Go to the URL quoted. 2. Observe that the page at the first link does not render correctly, while the other two do. Actual Results: When I clicked on the link to the .html file, I saw that the contents of the first blockquote were not rendered, but its styles were applied. The .xhtml and .xml files rendered as expected. Expected Results: Mozilla should have rendered the contents of the first blockquote in the .html file as it did for the .xhtml and .xml files. I added styles to the blockquote elements to show that the element is present in the content model. The styles do not affect the result of the testcase if removed.
Sorry for not checking this sooner. I tried the .html example with <blockquote><div>...</div></blockquote>, and it also renders correctly. Thus, we have a workaround (for new pages, at least), since div does not affect presentation. I suspect therefore that this only happens when the content of the blockquote is PCDATA (I hope this is the correct SGML term, my memory is fuzzy on this).
This bug is DUPL 29135, as are a slew of others.
It also affects all platforms.
Bug #29135 is a bookmark-creation bug. What does that have to do with blockquotes being mis-rendered in XHTML delivered as text/html? In addition, 29135 is marked as VERIFIED FIXED, while this bug is still manifest in 2000080712 (M17) in Win32. I accept that this bug is manifest on all platforms, but since I only had Linux available at the time I filed the bug, I marked it as Linux.
Sorry, that was a typo. It should have been 29125.
I examined bug #29125; it does indeed relate to XHTML rendering, but the problems described there are not those I am experiencing. I have not experienced gross XHTML rendering problems; what I am experiencing is a specific problem in a specific context, as described above.
I just tried the testcases with build 2000081821 on Linux; Mozilla now ignores the .xhtml extension and renders it as the MIME type the server provides suggests: plain text. The bug is still there.
Reassigning to vidur, per XHTML decision.
The bug was that we were rendering XHTML as strict HTML, even if it had a transitional DTD. Since we now going to send XHTML down the XML codepath, this bug will disappear. Thus, marking DUP of the 'treat XHTML as XML' bug. *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 48351 ***
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago
Keywords: testcase, xhtml
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.