Japanese Bookmark titles are garbage

VERIFIED FIXED in M6

Status

()

Core
RDF
P3
major
VERIFIED FIXED
19 years ago
19 years ago

People

(Reporter: bobj, Assigned: Chris Waterson)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows NT
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: fix checked in, URL)

(Reporter)

Description

19 years ago
Got to URL.  Do a Bookmarks|Add Current Page.
Open Bookmarks|Manage Bookmarks..., and for the title you will see
   Netcenter ýÖýæý¤ý±ý»

The second word should be in Japanese.

Updated

19 years ago
Assignee: hyatt → waterson
Summary: Japanese Bookmark titles are garbage → Japanese Bookmark titles are garbage

Comment 1

19 years ago
The tree code contains no drawing code.  It is just an extension of the table
code.  This is either a problem with the bookmarks parser and/or the way RDF is
storing the bookmark information, or it's a problem with Gecko's text-drawing
code.  Reassigning to waterson.
(Assignee)

Updated

19 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Target Milestone: M5
(Reporter)

Comment 2

19 years ago
*** Bug 5307 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
(Reporter)

Comment 3

19 years ago
You can use US NT.  That's what I have.

You can use the Bitstream Cyberbit or CyberCJK fonts:

     ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/Cyberbit.ZIP
     ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/extras/fonts/windows/CyberCJK.ZIP

You just need to install them because the GFX font sub-system will find them.

Also, if you have IE and the IE Japanese language pack installed, Communicator
can use those Japanese fonts.  Let me (or anyone in I18N) know, if you need
help locating these.
(Assignee)

Comment 4

19 years ago
FWIW, I notice that we get the same bizarre characters in the window title, as
well.
(Assignee)

Comment 5

19 years ago
Okay there are two problems here:

1. The bookmarks stuff was using "char" instead of "PRUnichar" in the
interfaces. I've fixed that, and can check it in.

But even after applying that fix...

2. The sidebar (and bookmarks) CSS is not using a font that can display
Japanese characters: in the debugger, I can force the "variables" display to
use MS Gothic and see that the correct Japanese characters are, in fact, in
memory.

Anyway, I should check in (1) above, but I'm not sure the right way to go about
(2).

Comment 6

19 years ago
Chris, if you haven't checked in your fix, please send me (erik) the diff. Thx.
(Assignee)

Comment 7

19 years ago
Okay, the code fix is in. Update

rdf/datasource/public/nsIBookmarkDataSource.h
rdf/datasource/src/nsBookmarkDataSource.cpp
xpfe/AppCores/src/nsRDFCore.cpp

Updated

19 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Comment 8

19 years ago
marking fixed
(Assignee)

Comment 9

19 years ago
chofmann - I don't think this is really fixed. I think erik needs to do some
magic to the style sheets first.
(Assignee)

Updated

19 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Whiteboard: code fix checked in, need to figure out style stuff.
(Assignee)

Comment 10

19 years ago
Re-opened: I don't believe this is fixed.

Updated

19 years ago
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago19 years ago

Comment 11

19 years ago
I tried it with www.netscape.com/ja, and at first it didn't work, but then I
remembered that that page has a META charset, and Seamonkey currently requires
the user to hit Reload to get the first block of the document to be converted
to Unicode properly. The TITLE (used for bookmark) is in the first block. So I
hit Reload, added the bookmark, and Presto! it worked. Marking FIXED.

Updated

19 years ago
Whiteboard: code fix checked in, need to figure out style stuff. → fix checked in

Updated

19 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Comment 12

19 years ago
verified on
	Windows NT 4.0 sp4    - 1999-05-03-08
	RedHat Linux 5.2 i386 - 1999-05-03-08
	MacOS 8.51 ppc        - 1999-05-03-08
(Reporter)

Updated

19 years ago
Status: VERIFIED → REOPENED

Comment 13

19 years ago
why was this reopened?
(Reporter)

Updated

19 years ago
Resolution: FIXED → ---
Target Milestone: M5 → M6
(Reporter)

Comment 14

19 years ago
Sorta works, but it does not seem to save the bookmark info
correctly. After you "Add Current Page", it looks correct in both
the "Manage Bookmarks..." dialog and the sidebar.  But after you
quit and relaunch, it looks like garbage.

This is true for Latin1 too.  Try it with:
   http://home.netscape.com/es/index.html
   (title: Netscape América Latina)

FYI, if you look at res/rdf/bookmarks.html, the file has been
saved as Latin1 and not as UTF-8.  Since RDF should expect UTF-8,
this may have something to do with the problem?

I think we can live with this until M6.
(We should include some Latin1 8-bit and Japanese chars in all
sidebar examples, not just bookmarks.)

Comment 15

19 years ago
moving the rest of this to m6.  let me know if the changes are
ready today for m5. it also ought to be reassinged if erik is now
working on it.
(Assignee)

Comment 16

19 years ago
Oh you want SAVE bookmarks to, eh? What do you think this is? A web browser?

Seriously though, we do have issues with serialization that we need help with:
I think they are beyond the scope of M5. I've opened 5871 to track that,
milestone M6.
(Reporter)

Updated

19 years ago
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago19 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(Reporter)

Comment 17

19 years ago
Changed back to RESOLVED/FIXED.  Follow-up remaining issues in 5871.

Updated

19 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Comment 18

19 years ago
verified on
        Windows NT 4.0 sp4    - 1999-05-04-08
        RedHat Linux 5.2 i386 - 1999-05-04-08
        MacOS 8.51 ppc        - 1999-05-04-08
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.