Firefox crashes on some pages with flash. Unable to kill/do anything

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

()

Firefox
General
RESOLVED INVALID
9 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: Marius, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

9 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7

While opening some sites using Flash firefox hangs. It looks like this:
http://public.mar.lt/iloveit.jpg
I'm unable to kill it. It happens with all browsers so its probably Flash fault.

The actual file that crashed flash was http://public.mar.lt/viewer.swf . It's not crashing at the moment (probably because broadcast is over)

I tried running only that one file with direct link and Flash crashed in all browsers. All browsers are like firefox on this situation except IE that after taskkill hides from taskbar but it remains in process list.

Reproducible: Sometimes

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to site with flash
2. See how firefox hangs
Actual Results:  
Firefox hanged

Expected Results:  
Firefox should have shown that Flash plugin has crased and it needs to restart or something. The really anoying thing is not the crash but that firefox hangs, it remains in taskbar and you're unable to kill it. Only restart helps.

target
i686-pc-mingw32

Build tools
Compiler 	Version 	Compiler flags
cl 	14.00.50727.762 	-GL -wd4624 -wd4952 -TC -nologo -W3 -Gy -Fd$(PDBFILE)
cl 	14.00.50727.762 	-GR- -GL -wd4624 -wd4952 -TP -nologo -Zc:wchar_t- -W3 -Gy -Fd$(PDBFILE)

Configure arguments
--enable-application=browser --enable-update-channel=release --enable-optimize --disable-debug --disable-tests --enable-update-packaging --enable-official-branding --enable-jemalloc --with-crashreporter-enable-percent=10
What do you mean with all browsers ?
What happens if you use the taskmanager and try to kill the Firefox.exe under the process tab ?
There are two different flash plugins, one is the NPAPI Flash plugin used by all known browsers like Opera, Safari, Chrome, Gecko (Seamonkey, Firefox, K-Meleon) except the other the ActiveX flash plugin which is only used by IE.

>Expected Results: 
>Firefox should have shown that Flash plugin has crased and it needs to restart
>or something.

Your expectation is wrong.
If a plugin hangs then it's a bug in the plugin.
To survive a crash or a hang of a plugin means that it must run in a different process and out-of-process plugins is an request for enhancement which is already in bugzilla (search to find it) but this would not help if the process can not be killed because that can be only caused by a bug in the system or a system driver running in the kernel mode of the os like a Firewall driver, Graphic card driver.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

9 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> What do you mean with all browsers ?
With IE7, with Firefox 3.0.6, with Opera 9.51
> What happens if you use the taskmanager and try to kill the Firefox.exe under
> the process tab ?
I just do end process and it's still there. As I figured out the child process crashed and firefox waits for that process of smth.

> There are two different flash plugins, one is the NPAPI Flash plugin used by
> all known browsers like Opera, Safari, Chrome, Gecko (Seamonkey, Firefox,
> K-Meleon) except the other the ActiveX flash plugin which is only used by IE.
> 
> >Expected Results: 
> >Firefox should have shown that Flash plugin has crased and it needs to restart
> >or something.
> 
> Your expectation is wrong.
> If a plugin hangs then it's a bug in the plugin.
> To survive a crash or a hang of a plugin means that it must run in a different
> process and out-of-process plugins is an request for enhancement which is
> already in bugzilla (search to find it)
I think this would solve this problem.

> but this would not help if the process
> can not be killed because that can be only caused by a bug in the system or a
> system driver running in the kernel mode of the os like a Firewall driver,
> Graphic card driver.
It may be some sort of Vista bug or "feature" because I've never seen unkillable processes on XP.
>I just do end process and it's still there. As I figured out the child process
>crashed and firefox waits for that process of smth.

The whole process dies if a Thread of this process dies.
If the Thread is hanging then it's possible that the whole process hangs but you can always kill it with the taskmanager.

The out of process plugins may help but i think not in this special case.
You can try Chrome which is already doing out-of-process plugins while we run plugins as Thread unless we change that which is not easy.

>It may be some sort of Vista bug or "feature" because I've never seen
>unkillable processes on XP.
A process becomes unkillable if some kernel mode is hanging but Firefox doesn't come with kernel mode drivers. It's for example known that Zonealarm does this with Firefox (bug in the ZA firewall driver) but that doesn't seem to this case.

Flash is doing only graphic, sound and networking.
You can try to up or downgrade the drivers for graphic card, sound card, networking card+Firewall driver.

I'm sorry but this can not be fixed by us. It seems that the flash player triggers a bug in your system. marking invalid.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.