Closed Bug 489923 Opened 13 years ago Closed 8 years ago

pitchfork.com/tv - On Linux, will only play first video listed on page; no links work

Categories

(Web Compatibility :: Desktop, defect)

All
Linux
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: tonightsthenight, Unassigned)

References

()

Details

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032711 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.8
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032711 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.8

This only seems to be a Linux issue as it works on windows machines. Even though the queue suggests another video is imminent, the only video that will play is the first.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.go to http://pitchfork.com/tv/
2.try to play another video besides the initial video offered
3.
Actual Results:  
video stay on the initial video

Expected Results:  
the selected video should have played
Confirmed, though I have no idea who's bug this is. Easily reproduced using Firefox 3.0.9 on Linux and Windows. (used mozilla.com build for Linux, not Ubuntu's)

The Error Console gets this on each attempt:
Error: self.getPlayer() is undefined
Source File: http://pitchfork.com/tv/
Line: 81

Line 81 has nothing related. No clue what's going on there. My guess would be that this is a TE bug, but I don't know what's breaking here.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Summary: Will only play first video listed on page, no links work → pitchfork.com/tv - On Linux, will only play first video listed on page; no links work
Version: unspecified → 3.0 Branch
I first tried to spoof a Windows Firefox useragent on Linux, but that didn't do it. Then I tried to run this with Firebug. If you toggle the "Break on All Errors" feature (Firebug 1.4), you can see some JavaScript code where the exception happen:

function DelvePlayerClass(playerIdentifier) {
 var self = this;
 var playerNodeIndentifier = playerIdentifier;
 var currentPlayer = null;
[...]
function () {
 return self.getPlayer().doGetCurrentIndex();
}

That JavaScript seems to be generated, it is not visible in any JavaScript or HTML file that goes through the network. My explanation is that this JavaScript is injected from a Flash resource in the page.

So I guess the issue is that the Flash resource (Delve Player?) is not generating things correctly when run on Linux (I'm using the Flash 10.0 d21 64bit plugin).

I tried with 3.0, 3.5 and 3.6 versions which do all fail. This is definitely a TE bug.
Assignee: nobody → english-us
Component: General → English US
Product: Firefox → Tech Evangelism
QA Contact: general → english-us
Hardware: x86 → All
Version: 3.0 Branch → unspecified
This bug is now fixed for me with the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04.
According to comment #4
Assignee: english-us → nobody
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 8 years ago
Component: English US → Desktop
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Product: Tech Evangelism → Web Compatibility
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.