Since the install of Firefox 3.5 Copernic Desktop Search stalls on indexing of Firefox Bookmarks and causes the CPU to stay on 100% even when Firefox is closed.

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

()

RESOLVED INVALID
10 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: cliffdf, Unassigned)

Tracking

3.5 Branch
x86
Windows XP
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

10 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

I have Copernic Desktop Search installed, using the free version and latest update. After the Install of the latest Firefox I noticed that my CPU was running on 100%. Then Firefox would remain running utilizing 90% CPU even if closed. I would have to open Process Explorer and use the Kill Function to kill Firefox even though it nominally was not running.

Copernic would lockup on indexing of the Firefox Bookmarks. 

If I close Copernic Desktop search then Firefox seems to run normally. 

When I was first noticing the problem there were some instances where tabs would not refresh or not open. But that seems to be solved when closing Copernic.

Copernic is supposed to run in the background and it useless if it has to be closed all the time and will not update. 

Perhaps this is more of a Copernic problem than a Firefox problem but we have to start somewhere.


Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Have Copernic Desktop and Firefox running at the same time
2.Copernic automaticlly updates the index
3.From that time on CPU usage is 90 - 100 % even if Firefox is closes. Computer slows to a crawl.
Actual Results:  
Copenic Desktop Search stops on the Indexing of Firefox Bookmarks. Then the computer slows and remains slow until Copernic is closed. Even then Firefox will not run well. With Process explorer running I can determine that Firefox is using 80 % CPU. After closing the Firefox interface the Process explorer tells me that Firefox is using 80 - 100 % CPU until I then kill the process with the Kill Function. Then the Computer returns to normal. After that If I start Firefox without Copernic Desktop Search it seems to run normally.


The FireFox seems to run normally except when the Copernic Desktop Search which should run continally is also running. The two used to run capatably before the Update to Firefox 3.5 but now they do not. I will report this to Copernic Desktop also.
Well, I tried the program, installed the latest version for a short test but I saw no immediate problem.
Component: General → Places
QA Contact: general → places
Version: unspecified → 3.5 Branch
Pleas etry the Firefox safemode :
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe%20Mode
and a new profile :
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing%20profiles

This makes sur ethat this is not an issue with your userprofile.

Fort step3) Is Firefox or Copernic using the CPU time if you notice the CPU issue ?
(In reply to comment #1)

> I saw no immediate problem.

Not immediately, but Copernic broke my Windows Vista installation entirely. It left a mess after deinstallation. With every build I wanted to run I got wrongly the message that "Firefox was already running". When the build finally had started up it took ages before I could click in the locationbar, no idea what it was doing all the time. If I wanted to burn something to disk "someone else was already accessing the drive". Also System Restore was broken. Had no other choice than to reformat and to reinstall Windows, after trying several other things in vain.
Sorry we can't fix issues of other softwares, please contact respective authors or disable bookmarks indexing if it does not work as expected.
Invalid, this is not a Firefox bug.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Bug 451915 - move Firefox/Places bugs to Firefox/Bookmarks and History. Remove all bugspam from this move by filtering for the string "places-to-b-and-h".

In Thunderbird 3.0b, you do that as follows:
Tools | Message Filters
Make sure the correct account is selected. Click "New"
Conditions: Body   contains   places-to-b-and-h
Change the action to "Delete Message".
Select "Manually Run" from the dropdown at the top.
Click OK.

Select the filter in the list, make sure "Inbox" is selected at the bottom, and click "Run Now". This should delete all the bugspam. You can then delete the filter.

Gerv
Component: Places → Bookmarks & History
QA Contact: places → bookmarks
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.