The default bug view has changed. See this FAQ.

Turn on support of external entitity replacement

VERIFIED FIXED in M8

Status

()

Core
XML
P1
major
VERIFIED FIXED
18 years ago
18 years ago

People

(Reporter: tao, Assigned: Nisheeth Ranjan)

Tracking

Trunk
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

18 years ago
For localization purpose, we need the parser to support general entities
declared in the external DTD file. (XML spec says an entity is internal if
the entity definition is an EntityValue; otherwise, it is an external one).

Also, the parser needs to provide a callback hook so that the locale
information could be used to locate and fetch the language-specific DTD.
(Reporter)

Updated

18 years ago
Priority: P3 → P1
QA Contact: 3847 → 4346
Target Milestone: M5
(Reporter)

Comment 1

18 years ago
Add URL to XUL localizability spec. Also assign QA contact.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Component: Parser → XML
(Assignee)

Comment 2

18 years ago
Accepting bug and changing component to XML.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Assignee: nisheeth → cata
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
Target Milestone: M5 → M6
(Assignee)

Comment 3

18 years ago
Catalin is working on this and from my talk with him yesterday, I think this
won't make it in time for M5.  So, I'm moving this bug to M6, assigning this to
Catalin and putting myself on the cc list.

Updated

18 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED

Updated

18 years ago
Target Milestone: M6 → M7

Updated

18 years ago
Whiteboard: Reviewed and ready for check-in today (6/15)
(Reporter)

Comment 4

18 years ago
The status of it:

1. It takes absolute URL as the systemid only.
2. It need doctype declaration in the DTD file. This shouldn't be the case.
3. It does nou support co-existence of internal and external DTD subset yet.

I'll file separate bugs on them.

Updated

18 years ago
Whiteboard: Reviewed and ready for check-in today (6/15) → Reviewed and ready for check-in today (6/15)- is this in?

Updated

18 years ago
Assignee: cata → nisheeth
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW

Comment 5

18 years ago
It's in, but the code is #ifdef'ed. Reassigning to Nisheeth so he can final test
& review and turn the flag on.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
(Assignee)

Comment 6

18 years ago
Accepting bug...

I tried testing the following XML and, with EXTERNAL_ENTITY_SUPPORT enabled,
nothing displays in viewer:

<?xml version="1.0">
<test>
this text should display.
</test>
---

Ccing cata so that he can also take a look at this.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Whiteboard: Reviewed and ready for check-in today (6/15)- is this in? → Basic XML test case does not display.
(Assignee)

Comment 7

18 years ago
Updating summary.

Comment 8

18 years ago
I thought the correct syntax was:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
(please note the final "?")

Maybe that's the problem?
(Assignee)

Comment 9

18 years ago
You are right about the syntax.  But, an error message should show up in the
viewer.  Currently, nothing shows up.
(Assignee)

Comment 10

18 years ago
Oops, my bad.  It seems that this behavior was occurring earlier also...

I'm in there testing more as I type...
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Depends on: 8251, 8254, 8255
Summary: Need XML parser support of general entities in the external DTD files → Turn on support of external entitity replacement
Whiteboard: Basic XML test case does not display.
Target Milestone: M7 → M8
(Assignee)

Comment 11

18 years ago
My testing did not uncover new issues: everything I found already has bugs open
or was reported by James Clark.

Clearing status because basic XML does display fine with these changes enabled.
Changing summary to reflect that only enablement remains.

I'm setting the target milestone for the resolution of this bug to M8.  We need
to address James Clarks' concerns as well as resolve bugs 8251, 8254, and 8255
before we turn this on for everybody.  Adding those bugs to the bug dependency
list.
(Assignee)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(Assignee)

Comment 12

18 years ago
I just turned this on in the builds of all platforms.  Thanks a lot to James for
providing a patch to expat that adds this new feature.  Many thanks to Tao for
integrating James' changes into the mozilla codebase.
(Reporter)

Updated

18 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
(Reporter)

Comment 13

18 years ago
Verified with jul-07-99 build.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.