front end opening very very very slow (startup)

RESOLVED INCOMPLETE

Status

--
major
RESOLVED INCOMPLETE
9 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: terrasands, Unassigned)

Tracking

({perf})

x86
Windows XP

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: closeme 2010-02-05)

(Reporter)

Description

9 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.14) Gecko/2009082707 Firefox/3.0.14 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Build Identifier: 

since last auto upgrade, yesterday. front end very slow to open (need to walk away and come back later) and local folders showing excessive number of unopened emails, which is not so. some emails opening with no information but try later and the email contents are there. Clicking get mail not operational.
Help I am being driven slowly mad!
Linda

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.opening front end
2.opening emails
3.retrieving new mail
Upgraded to which version of Tb? Tb 2.0.0.23?

> local folders showing excessive number of unopened emails

Does it occur on any local mail folder of any account? Or on specific local mail folder of specific account?
View message source. Is there X-Mozilla-Status:,X-Mozilla-Status2:,X-Mozilla-Keys: header at top?

> Clicking get mail not operational.

What phenomenon do you mean by "not operational"? Error is reported to Error Console and "Get Msgs" button does nothing? Mail is not downloaded although mail was downloaded as expected yesterday?
Does it happen on any account(any server)? Or specific account(specific server)?
Is mail sending possible?
(Reporter)

Comment 2

9 years ago
Since my initial contact to mozilla I  have noticed that many of my problems I am experiencing are occurring after i send mail to the trash. Including - very slow email list appearing ie hour glass for 3-5 minutes- emails showing no content- reply and forward buttons not working. Sometimes a message appears on the bottom bar "moving 1 of 1 messages to trash" this message appears for several minutes and no email contents can be viewed at this time. Sam problem if I am moving a subfile.
Answers to Q's as above:
Re excessive number of unopened emails- occurs only on "in box" we only use one account.
Re Get mail not operational - Clicking get mail does not work. to receive new mail i need to click arrow next to "get mail" button. we only have one account. Sending emails is fine provided i am not waiting for the list to appear.

Can u pls tell me if there is a max number of files that the system will hold.
Since these recent problems Iam clearing unwanted files in the hope that it will resolve. no luck so far. Current load 585 in box - i have 23 subfolders, the most in any one sub folder is 38 some have none.
thanks for assistance.
Linda
> Including - very slow email list appearing ie hour glass for 3-5 minutes-
>(snip)
> excessive number of unopened emails- occurs only on "in box" we only use one
account.

IMAP? POP3? If POP3, check next.

How big is your file for Inbox folder?
  See Account Settings/Server Settings, Local Directory: <mail_dir>.
  (If you use Global Inbox of "Local Folders", check setting of "Local Folders") 
  Check file size of <mail_dir>\Inbox (not Inbox.msf).
How long does "rebuild index" take for Inbox?
  At Server Settings, uncheck "Check new messages at startup/every N minutes",
  restart Tb. At folder property of Inbox, "Rebuild Index".
(Reporter)

Comment 4

9 years ago
reply
Re- How big is your file-i cannot see anything under server settings that gives me this info! Local directory only has a browse button!
Re- how long to rebuild index - 3 to 5 minutes. I do not understand this part of your instructions - restart Tb. At folder property of Inbox, "Rebuild Index".
regards
Linda
(In reply to comment #4)
> i cannot see anything under server settings that gives me this info!
> Local directory only has a browse button!

It sounds ordinal POP3 account(not "Local Folders") and Bug 379884...
> Bug 379884 OK and Cancel buttons not accessible, Account Settings dialog too tall due to large windows font size

If you don't use special setup, mail directory is held at standard place.
Do next, and find full path of mail directory.
At Command Prompt:
  (1) CD "%appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles" (2) DIR (find profile_dir)
  (3) CD <profile_dir>  (4) CD Mail (5) DIR (find server_name)
  (6) CD <server_nme>   (7) DIR Inbox*.*
And check the file's property by MS Windows Explorer if required.

> I do not understand this part of your instructions - restart Tb.

Two reasons.
(1) Rebuild-index of Inbox can interfere automatic mail download. So disable it.
(2) Due to bug. "Check for new messages" setting change requires restart of Tb.

> Re- how long to rebuild index - 3 to 5 minutes.

"need to walk away and come back later" and "hour glass for 3-5 minutes" looks result of internal rebuild-index, which is caused by ".msf corruption" or "outdated .msf condition".
Do "Compact" in Context Menu of Inbox, and wait for end of compaction.
Is file size of "Inbox" reduced?

Updated

9 years ago
Severity: critical → major
Keywords: perf
Version: unspecified → 2.0
(Reporter)

Comment 6

9 years ago
Ok Guys
i am still having severe problems as before.
Now i don't understand the last 2 emails sent to me. there is too much techno stuff for my limited skills.
Can someone give me a simple solution to fix this or some step by step instructions.
keep it simple please
(Reporter)

Comment 7

9 years ago
If I were to reload mozilla thunderbird would i maintain all my existing emails.
(In reply to comment #7)
> If I were to reload mozilla thunderbird would i maintain all my existing
> emails.

Yes. That shouldn't be a problem. 

before going on wada's suggestions, could you do two things ?

select the trash and empty it. and then right click on the trash and choose properties and then click on the rebuild index button.
Terrasands ?
(Reporter)

Comment 10

9 years ago
As above - when i right click on trash choose properties -there is no rebuild index button.
what can i do to resolve this problem.
(Reporter)

Comment 11

9 years ago
Can someone pls tell me how to rebuild my index.
the previous instructions via trash - properties - rebuild index button.
There is no rebuild index button.
what now!!
regards

Comment 12

9 years ago
terrasands, please do the items marked at each *** and post your results in the bug. thanks

(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > i cannot see anything under server settings that gives me this info!
> > Local directory only has a browse button!
> 
> It sounds ordinal POP3 account(not "Local Folders") and Bug 379884...
> > Bug 379884 OK and Cancel buttons not accessible, Account Settings dialog too tall due to large windows font size
> 
> If you don't use special setup, mail directory is held at standard place.
*** > Do next, and find full path of mail directory.
*** > At Command Prompt:
*** >   (1) CD "%appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles" (2) DIR (find profile_dir)
*** >   (3) CD <profile_dir>  (4) CD Mail (5) DIR (find server_name)
*** >   (6) CD <server_nme>   (7) DIR Inbox*.*

what is file size?

> And check the file's property by MS Windows Explorer if required.
> 
> > I do not understand this part of your instructions - restart Tb.
> 
> Two reasons.
> (1) Rebuild-index of Inbox can interfere automatic mail download. So disable
> it.
> (2) Due to bug. "Check for new messages" setting change requires restart of Tb.
> 
> > Re- how long to rebuild index - 3 to 5 minutes.
> 
> "need to walk away and come back later" and "hour glass for 3-5 minutes" looks
> result of internal rebuild-index, which is caused by ".msf corruption" or
> "outdated .msf condition".
*** > Do "Compact" in Context Menu of Inbox, and wait for end of compaction.
*** > Is file size of "Inbox" reduced?
Whiteboard: closeme 2010-02-05

Comment 13

9 years ago
wada, might this be antivirus SW?

Updated

9 years ago
Summary: front end opening very very very slow → front end opening very very very slow (startup)
RESOLVED INCOMPLETE due to lack of response to last question. If you feel this change was made in error, please respond to this bug with your reasons why.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.