Can't update thunderbird I get Update XML file malformed (200) when I try

VERIFIED WORKSFORME

Status

()

VERIFIED WORKSFORME
9 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: Usul, Unassigned)

Tracking

1.9.1 Branch
x86
Mac OS X
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(2 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

9 years ago
Created attachment 408933 [details]
Update xml file I get from the web browser.

I've been trying to update my current copy of Thunderbird.

Every time I try I get Update XML file malformed (200) as an answer.

Setting app.update.log.all to true I get the following in the Error Console :
AUS:SVC UpdateService:canUpdate - testing /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/update.test
AUS:SVC UpdateService:canUpdate - testing /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.test
AUS:SVC UpdateService:canUpdate - able to update
AUS:SVC General:readStringFromFile - file doesn't exist: /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.status
AUS:SVC General:readStatusFile - status: null, path: /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.status
AUS:SVC UpdateService:_postUpdateProcessing - no status, no update
AUS:UI gUpdates:onLoad - setting current page to startpage checking
AUS:SVC General:getLocale - getting locale from file: /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/update.locale, locale: en-US
AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL: https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553/Darwin_Universal-gcc3/en-US/nightly/Darwin%209.8.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
AUS:SVC Checker:checkForUpdates - sending request to: https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553/Darwin_Universal-gcc3/en-US/nightly/Darwin%209.8.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
AUS:SVC Checker:onError - request.status: 2153389955
AUS:SVC General:getStatusTextFromCode - transfer error: Update XML file malformed (200), default code: 200
AUS:UI gCheckingPage:onError - proceeding to error page
AUS:UI gErrorsPage:onPageShow - update.statusText: Update XML file malformed (200)

I've deleted the updates directory and the update.xml files. And I still get the error. The update file looks ok.

I'm puzzled as why I can't update - is there a cache somewhere. 

Raising as UNCO as gozer can update both Mac and Linux.

Looking at http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/AUS+Update+XML+File+Malformed+200?s=Update%20XML%20file%20malformed%20%28200%29 - 
 1) I only have aus and aus2 .mozilla.org shouldn't I have cookies from mozillamessaging.com domains too ?
 2) I tried in -safe-mode and got the following :
Work:~ ludo$ /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin  -safe-mode
*** AUS:SVC UpdateService:canUpdate - testing /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/update.test
*** AUS:SVC UpdateService:canUpdate - testing /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.test
*** AUS:SVC UpdateService:canUpdate - able to update
*** AUS:SVC General:readStringFromFile - file doesn't exist: /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.status
*** AUS:SVC General:readStatusFile - status: null, path: /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.status
*** AUS:SVC UpdateService:_postUpdateProcessing - no status, no update
*** AUS:SVC General:getLocale - getting locale from file: /Applications/Shredder.app/Contents/MacOS/update.locale, locale: en-US
*** AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL: https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553/Darwin_Universal-gcc3/en-US/nightly/Darwin%209.8.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
*** AUS:SVC Checker:checkForUpdates - sending request to: https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553/Darwin_Universal-gcc3/en-US/nightly/Darwin%209.8.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
*** AUS:SVC Checker:onError - request.status: 2153389955
*** AUS:SVC General:getStatusTextFromCode - transfer error: Update XML file malformed (200), default code: 200


Anything more I should do to debug this ?
The error being returned from the request is 0x805A1F83 (2153389955)
SEC_ERROR_OCSP_UNKNOWN_RESPONSE_STATUS
Can you try updating with a new profile to see if there is a pref or extension that is preventing the secure request from working?
(Reporter)

Comment 3

9 years ago
(In reply to comment #2)
> Can you try updating with a new profile to see if there is a pref or extension
> that is preventing the secure request from working?

That works. So it could be an extension .... or a pref ...
(Reporter)

Comment 4

9 years ago
So I didn't change anything extension wise in the last week or so. Pref wise I'm not sure at all.
Can you check the following prefs in Thunderbird's Config Editor (Preferences -> Advanced -> General page)?
security.enable_ssl3
security.enable_tls

If these are both set to false it will cause this error when connecting to most ssl servers using any mechanism.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

9 years ago
(In reply to comment #5)
> Can you check the following prefs in Thunderbird's Config Editor (Preferences
> -> Advanced -> General page)?
> security.enable_ssl3
> security.enable_tls
> 
> If these are both set to false it will cause this error when connecting to most
> ssl servers using any mechanism.

Both of these are set to true.
Perhaps the builtin certs were modified or new certs were added to the builtin certs for Mozilla Messaging and code wasn't added to add these to existing profiles?

Gozer or Mark, can you chime in on the above?
(In reply to comment #7)
> Perhaps the builtin certs were modified or new certs were added to the builtin
> certs for Mozilla Messaging and code wasn't added to add these to existing
> profiles?
> 
> Gozer or Mark, can you chime in on the above?
or code was added to import these certs and in rare cases it fails? I'm just throwing out ideas since I'm not able to reproduce and a new profile is able to update for Ludovic.

Ludovic, could you also try updating in safe mode to see if that also works?
Ludovic, could you also try creating a new message, attaching the following url to it, and reporting back whether it successfully attached it to the message?
https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553/Darwin_Universal-gcc3/en-US/nightly/Darwin%209.8.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
(Reporter)

Comment 10

9 years ago
(In reply to comment #8)

> Ludovic, could you also try updating in safe mode to see if that also works?

Tried that before as stated in #0 , and it failed. I've now updated.
Sorry about that... could you try the steps outlined in comment #9?
also, if it does attach try opening it to see if the contents are correct
(Reporter)

Comment 13

9 years ago
(In reply to comment #9)
> Ludovic, could you also try creating a new message, attaching the following url
> to it, and reporting back whether it successfully attached it to the message?
> https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553

Ain't sure I understand here. I've created a new message and attached the xml I got from the above url that I had saved yesterday. I don't know how to attach content based on an url in TB.

Ludo
(Reporter)

Comment 14

9 years ago
And I forgot to say that attaching the xml file worked - but it was on the updated version already.
(In reply to comment #13)
> (In reply to comment #9)
> > Ludovic, could you also try creating a new message, attaching the following url
> > to it, and reporting back whether it successfully attached it to the message?
> > https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553
> 
> Ain't sure I understand here. I've created a new message and attached the xml I
> got from the above url that I had saved yesterday. I don't know how to attach
> content based on an url in TB.
You can create a new message, click attach, paste in the following url
https://aus2.mozillamessaging.com/update/3/Thunderbird/3.0pre/20091026061553/Darwin_Universal-gcc3/en-US/nightly/Darwin%209.8.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1

then click the affirmative button which is typically open. After the message is attached you can then double click it and you should be prompted to open or save it... select save. Then attach it to this bug.

Also, now that you've updated do you still get the xml malformed error when checking for updates with the original account?
(In reply to comment #15)
>...
> then click the affirmative button which is typically open. After the message is
meant to say "After the url is attached..."
(Reporter)

Comment 17

9 years ago
Created attachment 409040 [details]
Email with attached content

(In reply to comment #15)

> then click the affirmative button which is typically open. After the message is
> attached you can then double click it and you should be prompted to open or
> save it... select save. Then attach it to this bug.

Attaching right now. Never used that attached content function :-)
 
> Also, now that you've updated do you still get the xml malformed error when
> checking for updates with the original account?

No it works - well at least I get no updates found.
(In reply to comment #17)
> Created an attachment (id=409040) [details]
> Email with attached content
> 
> (In reply to comment #15)
> 
> > then click the affirmative button which is typically open. After the message is
> > attached you can then double click it and you should be prompted to open or
> > save it... select save. Then attach it to this bug.
> 
> Attaching right now. Never used that attached content function :-)
> 
> > Also, now that you've updated do you still get the xml malformed error when
> > checking for updates with the original account?
> 
> No it works - well at least I get no updates found.
If the problem still existed then you would have still received the update xml malformed error when checking for updates and I highly suspect that you either wouldn't have been able to attach the url or it would have been an error page of some sort. Not sure what put app update on Thunderbird in the state it was in but I doubt it was app update otherwise there would have been a ton of reports though it could have been xmlhttprequest which is used to retrieve the update xml.
btw: please keep an eye on it over the next few days and update the bug with whether it failed or succeeded.
I'm wondering if bug 372980 could have been the cause of this. It landed at about the right time to affect this, and could be something to do with certs?
Blocks: 372980

Comment 21

9 years ago
(In reply to comment #20)
> I'm wondering if bug 372980 could have been the cause of this. It landed at
> about the right time to affect this, and could be something to do with certs?

No, definitely not. Bug 372980 only affects extension installation and information being displayed there, not the way certificate validation is actually handled.
No longer blocks: 372980
One thing I noticed while perusing logs on my side. Close to the time _Tsk_ reported this problem, one of the backend Apache servers behing aus.momo.com restarted as part of an automated configuration update.

I can't be 100% certain of the timing, but it was certainly around the same time. Could this have been caused by a connection being closed unexpectedly from the client ?
I don't think the so since I believe _Tsk_ tried to update on subsequent days.
(Reporter)

Comment 24

9 years ago
I've been updating without issues since. Shall we resolve incomplete/invalid ?
I'm going to go with wfm though if you experience it again please refile or reopen... these types of errors are extremely hard to track down regretfully and we at least now have a data point of using a new profile worked. Thanks
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
(Reporter)

Updated

9 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.