two problems: 1. on my dell readhat oem box, glib.h is in /usr/include but glibconfig.h lives in /usr/lib/glib/include. so when glib.h includes glibconfig.h it fails to find it with the default include path. this probably needs to be picked off when the makefile is generated. 2. elf_dynstr-gc is build via SIMPLE_PROGRAM so it seems to get builds/link flags as such. if you try ripping out gtk, then glib-config isn't used to build up the flags, and it fails to link. the commented out rule to always include them probably needs to be turned on by default. one last one, newer gccs generate so valid warnings off the source (end of funtions reached without return, etc.), that may need to be fixed.
1. That problem is handled by using glib-config which is set in the GLIB_CFLAGS variable. 2. Why would removing gtk have any affect on glib? They are 2 separate programs and xpidl requires libIDL which requires glib. Which options are you passing to configure?
1. GLIB_CONFIG flags seems to be for gdk not glibc which is what glib.h is part of (the joys of library naming). 2. elf-dynstr-gc is built using some helps from gdk, glib-config is what's used to get the --libs and --cflags during make, same idea as gtk-config. or are you comfusing it with something for glibc?
1. GLIB_CONFIG flags are for glib. Not glibc. Not gdk. glib is a separeate helper library that is used by gdk/gtk, libIDL and other programs. 2. Yes, elf-dynstr-gc is built using glib-config which comes from glib, not gdk. GLIB_CONFIG should be always set...unless you configured with --disable-libIDL. If that's the case, then the fix is fairly simple, if not, let me know which options you are passing to configure.
oops, my bad. my configure flags are as follows: --enable-cpp-rtti --enable-cpp-exceptions --with-gtk=no --disable-verbose-config- defs --disable-mailnews --without-jpeg --disable-debug --enable-strip-libs -- enable-optimize --enable-elf-dynstr-gc checking config/autoconf.mk has GLIB_CFLAGS and GLIB_LIBS both being set to nothing.
It sounds like you have some other problem then. I just tried those options and those variables are set as they should be: GLIB_CFLAGS = -I/usr/lib/glib/include GLIB_LIBS = -L/usr/lib -lglib Can you attach both the output from running configure and the config.log file?
looking at about line 5880 of configure, there's a test for redhat's Hedwig release. if it is, it forces LIBIDL_CFLAGS and LIBIDL_LIBS and skips the whole check. maybe GLIB is a similiar problem? (i'll try to grab the log, etc in a sec)
ok, figured out the problem. the check in configure for redhat Hedwig systems (5879) seems to be to blame. it's forcing off the test for libIDL, but the entire testing for glib (5932-6201) is within the libIDL test. I tried moving all of the GLIB tests out (before the libIDL checks), and all is well on my system (but i've manually updated my glib to 1.2.8 if that matters). the other option would be to hardcode GLIB_CFLAGS and GLIB_LIBS for redhat hedwig systems.
Created attachment 15385 [details] [diff] [review] Adding explicit glib check while avoiding duplicate checks
Status: UNCONFIRMED → ASSIGNED
Ever confirmed: true
Priority: P3 → P2
Trivial fix but still requesting nsbeta3 status so the release will have this fix.
Fix has been checked in.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.