Closed Bug 534125 Opened 12 years ago Closed 12 years ago

[ja] add hl=ja parameter for google japan search engine

Categories

(Mozilla Localizations :: ja / Japanese, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: bugzilla, Assigned: bugzilla)

References

Details

Attachments

(2 files)

At first we removed hr=lang_ja parameter from our google-jp.xml searchplugin according to Google's request in bug 508793#c12.
But when I confirmed with Google Japan staff, they requested one more change, to add hl=ja parameter for google-jp.xml.

So I'm requesting approval to add hl=ja parameter for google-jp.xml

Note about google.xml and google-jp.xml:
When we remove hr=lang_ja (and without hl=ja) parameter, difference between google-jp.xml and google.xml are just the search url is www.google.com or www.google.co.jp. 
Since google.com will be redirected to google.co.jp if we access from japan and we thought we need not to use ja specific one and we get approval to use google.xml, not only to remove hr=lang_ja parameter in the bug 508793.

But actually it was wrong. 
According to Google, redirect from www.google.com to www.google.co.jp isn't
always correct. For example if gateway server isn't in their country, they are
redirected to other language server depending on the gateway server location.
So, we should keep using google-jp.xml with www.google.co.jp urls.
This is the patch just to change clear.
This contain the change of bug 508793.
just add hl=ja parameter.

This is the patch after previous change by bug 508793.
requesting approval to this change for all branches (1.9.1, 1.9.2, central)

Strictly speaking, we removed google-jp.xml in the patch of bug 508793 and actual change is add whole google-jp.xml as I attached in the bug:
https://bug508793.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=416683
But as stas said in bug 508793#c12, it makes context unclear and I attached diff against google-jp.xml without lr=lang_ja parameter here.
Attachment #417041 - Flags: review?(stas)
Blocks: 534139
No longer depends on: 508793
Attachment #417041 - Flags: review?(stas) → review+
Comment on attachment 417041 [details] [diff] [review]
patch to add hl=ja parameter to google-jp.xml

r=me.

Although looking at <http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n-mozilla-1.9.2/ja/file/95cca33c0f76/browser/searchplugins/google-jp.xml> you'll need to change this line too:

>   <!-- <Param name="lr" value="lang_ja"/> -->

(it's uncommented in the current version of the file).

Please land as soon as you get a chance, give the revision number in this bug, test the plug-in and opt in.

Thanks, Dynamis.
Thanks, I'll land this and update our opt-in soon.

(In reply to comment #3)
> Although looking at
> <http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n-mozilla-1.9.2/ja/file/95cca33c0f76/browser/searchplugins/google-jp.xml>
> you'll need to change this line too:
> 
> >   <!-- <Param name="lr" value="lang_ja"/> -->
> 
> (it's uncommented in the current version of the file).

Yes, current version of the file doesn't include the change granted by previous bug 508793#c12. That's because I attached first attachment 417038 [details] [diff] [review].
pushed to all branches (1.9.1, 1.9.2, central) ja/ja-JP-mac
 -> resolved fixed
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.