All users were logged out of Bugzilla on October 13th, 2018

Two Toolbars after installing 8b8, can only customize one

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

RESOLVED INVALID
9 years ago
9 years ago

People

(Reporter: kingofthe, Assigned: beckley)

Tracking

x86
Windows XP

Details

Attachments

(3 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

9 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100105 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre) Gecko/20091214 Eudora/3.0b4

I skipped b7 because it was too far too buggy to use. Now that I installed b8 on top of b6, I've suddenly got two toolbars.

There's also nothing I can do about this, since only the upper "Mail Toolbar" is customizable, and reverting the toolbars does nothing to the lower bar - Eudora does not count it as a toolbar.

Reproducible: Didn't try

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install and use Eudora 8b6
2. Install Eudora 8b8
Actual Results:  
There are two toolbars instead of one, and only one can be customized

Expected Results:  
There should only be one toolbar, both toolbars should be customizable
(Reporter)

Comment 1

9 years ago
Created attachment 422010 [details]
Screenshot of toolbars
(Assignee)

Comment 2

9 years ago
Yeah, the TB code we based off of when going from b7 to b8 changed the name of the main toolbar.  The old one had an id of "mail-bar2" and the new one has an id of "mail-bar3".  While this doesn't happen to everyone who updates to b8, it does happen to some and I have seen it happen myself.

There's a couple of ways to deal with this.  The first is the easy way, which is just to delete the localstore.rdf file from your Profile.  However, there's a certain amount of customized data stored in that file, like column states and window positions and sizes.

The second way is to edit that localstore.rdf file and just delete the entries in there that have "mail-bar2" or "mail-bar3" in them.  You have to be a little careful as some of the entries for these span multiple lines.  The rdf format is somewhat like XML so you just look for the beginning and ending tag.

If you've done quite a bit of customization to your toolbar, there's a third way you could approach this which is to delete all of the "mail-bar3" entries, and then rename all of the instances of "mail-bar2" to "mail-bar3".  This probably would work, but I can't guarantee it.  It's worth a try if you've done a lot of customization to the toolbar as the worst thing that can happen is it doesn't read up correctly and you just have to revert to the default toolbar setup.
Assignee: mozilla-bugs → beckley
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Version: unspecified → 0.5
(Reporter)

Comment 3

9 years ago
I deleted localstore.rdf. Included result as attachment
(Reporter)

Comment 4

9 years ago
Created attachment 422383 [details]
Toolbar after deletion of localstore.rdf
(Assignee)

Comment 5

9 years ago
If you go in to Tools->Add-ons, what version of Penelope does it say you have installed?

Can you attach your localstore.rdf file so I can take a look at it?
(Reporter)

Comment 6

9 years ago
Oh, this might explain it: For some reason or another, the extension is only version 0.5a2, even though the latest is 0.5a5. Perhaps this is related to going from b6 to b8? 

I installed the newest version, reverted the toolbar to default and it looks all right now.
(Reporter)

Comment 7

9 years ago
Created attachment 422386 [details]
Non-working localstore.rdf from 0.5a2/b8 for reference
(Assignee)

Comment 8

9 years ago
Did you install just Penelope 0.5a2 at some point rather than the corresponding Eudora version (which would have been Eudora 8 beta 5)?  If so, that would have put the Penelope extension in your Profile, and any extension in your Profile will override one that comes with the app with the same id.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
(Assignee)

Comment 9

9 years ago
Also, what you should do is uninstall the Penelope version that you have right now, because it's installed in your Profile and is overriding the one in the app.  Otherwise you'll just have this same problem when you install the next beta.  Once you uninstall the one in your Profile it will start using the one that comes with Eudora.
(Reporter)

Comment 10

9 years ago
Will do! Had just typed up a question asking if that was the recommendable course of action! Thing is, here I've been expecting installer to update the extension as well.

As far as the manually installed extension, I can't remember very clearly any more about the upgrade path since I've tried just about everything trying to get the program work - I've had upgrade issues with nearly all of the betas so far. I think that's probably the case, though.
(Assignee)

Comment 11

9 years ago
The Eudora installer only updates the version of Penelope that comes with the app.  It doesn't touch your profile at all.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.