program freezes up without apparent reason, if shutdown, will not close but no window showing and then without warning restarts; affects Firefox windows so cannot return to desktop or open other browsers, not entire computer

RESOLVED INCOMPLETE

Status

()

--
critical
RESOLVED INCOMPLETE
9 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: devon.noll, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [CLOSEME 2011-2-25])

(Reporter)

Description

9 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

When using Firefox to view videos or to upload videos to places such as YouTube or Hulu, despite uploading the appropriate plug-ins, Firefox shutdowns without warning, stops streaming or uploading for no apparent reason, locks up the computer, and requires an administrative shutdown that apparently does not close it down, because attempts to re-open get an error message that it is already running despite no window or indicator in the toolbars.  IN addition, once shutdown, it will restart without warning, often interrupting pages on which I am working or viewing things.  This started about a couple weeks ago, after repeated attempts to upgrade my Firefox browser failed.  I gave up trying to upgrade, and the problem has become increasingly disruptive.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.  closed window, then reopened, started uploading  videos, took about two hours to lock up.
2.  closed window, tried to reopen, but could not reopen from desktop for over 15 minutes
3.  closed window, then reopened.  Opened another window with Firefox, worked on it, going back and forth for about an hour, before both windows locked up.
4.  closed window, then reopened.  Opened another window using Chrome or Explorer, going back and forth for about an hour, before both windows again locked up.
5.  closed window, did not reopen intentionally, about one hour later while working through another browser, it reopened and then would not close.
6.  cleared browser history and cookies, but still locks up.
Actual Results:  
See above

Expected Results:  
Should not have locked up, should have closed and stayed closed when shutdown, should not have locked up other browser windows.

This appears to happen in any window - whether video or not - in Firefox, and it affects other browsers on my computer which I open when I am viewing or uploading videos only while Firefox is running something else or another video, not other functions in other browsers. It is also happening on my husband's computer which is a duplicate of mine, so it is not isolated to my computer only.

I run a website where I post videos through YouTube and then transfer them to my website for further discussions.  It took me three days to upload 6 five-minute videos to YouTube this week because of problems with Firefox shutting down without warning or locking up.  When I tried it through Chrome, it took me less than five minute to upload the last of the videos.
So, your whole computer locks up? Sounds like a driver, firewall or something like that. Firefox can not cause whole system freezes. You can try a new profile, but also try updating windows (service packs), drivers, disabling your firewall, etc.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles
(Reporter)

Updated

9 years ago
Summary: program freezes up without apparent reason, if shutdown, will not close but no window showing and then without warning restarts → program freezes up without apparent reason, if shutdown, will not close but no window showing and then without warning restarts; affects Firefox windows so cannot return to desktop or open other browsers, not entire computer
(Reporter)

Comment 2

9 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> So, your whole computer locks up? Sounds like a driver, firewall or something
> like that. Firefox can not cause whole system freezes. You can try a new
> profile, but also try updating windows (service packs), drivers, disabling your
> firewall, etc.
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles

My entire computer does not lock up, only the firefox windows and any other browser windows that might be open at the time.  The lock up on the Firefox window prevents returning to desktop or accessing other windows that might be open.  I have not changed my security protocols since trying to update to Firefox 3.6, and Windows sends through updates regularly.  I have not done anything for updates on my Norton Security since renewing it over a month ago, and the problem is more recent than that.  Nothing has changed in any of the other programs on my computer or my husband's so the problem seems to be coming from Firefox, not our computers. My husband is a computer expert and has tried everything he can from our end to address the problem and nothing has helped.
When the freeze happens and you press Ctrl+Alt+Del, does anything happen? If not, then it is probably a system freeze, not a firefox one.
Firefox is a userspace program, not a kernelspace one, so it can't cause system wide freezes. Have you tried all the things I suggested?
(Reporter)

Comment 4

9 years ago
when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, the protocols page appears, I select windows manager, the pop-up comes up showing that Mozilla Firefox is not responding.  It is the only way to close the window, and disrupt the problem for any other browser windows or access to programs such as Word on my desktop.
OK, then please create a new profile and test.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

9 years ago
You say create a new profile.  My husband is not available at the moment, so I am not sure what you mean.  Please advise how.  thanks
The link I gave you in comment 1 explains how to manage and create profiles.
Reporter, are you still seeing this issue with Firefox 3.6.13 or later in safe mode or a fresh profile? If not, please close. These links can help you in your testing.
http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Safe+Mode
http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Managing+profiles
Also, ensure you update all your plugins (Flash, Reader, java, quicktime, etc) to the latest version available on the vendor's website.
Whiteboard: [CLOSEME 2011-2-25]
This bug has had the CLOSEME tag for several weeks and the date in the tag is
far gone. If the reporter can still see this issue, Please retest with Firefox
3.6.x or later and a new profile
(http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Managing+profiles). Then please remove the
closeme tag in the whiteboard, mark the bug against the proper version and
comment on the bug.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.