168 bytes, text/html
249 bytes, text/plain
300 bytes, text/plain
27 bytes, text/plain
2.77 KB, patch
|Details | Diff | Splinter Review|
If you put these four files somewhere in your chrome folder, and load the test.html file, it works ok. If you load the test.xul file, it doesn't. Use chrome:// URLs to load the files. You'll have to edit test.html and test.xul to point to the right location for test.js. Expected result: alert box that says "Test" Actual result: no alert box when using .xul file The event is fired (from nsXMLDocument::EndLoad), but is stopped by nsScriptSecurityManager in CheckFunctionAccess (returning NS_ERROR_DOM_SECURITY_ERR). The difference between the two is when using a html file, the test (if (isSameOrigin)) at line 640 of mozilla/ caps/src/nsScriptSecurityManager.cpp succeeds, and for a xul file it fails. This is currently blocking my work on the chrome for Transformiix (XSLT processor).
dup of 53493. I have a patch, waiting on approval. Peter, if you need a quick fix, apply my patch from 53493. *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 53493 ***
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Hmm, actually, this is not a dupe. Bug 53493 has to do with html files not working from inside chrome. I have no problem with the html file, it's when using the xul file that it doesn't work. Reopening.
Status: VERIFIED → REOPENED
Resolution: DUPLICATE → ---
Nonetheless, this will be fixed by 53493, I think.
Status: REOPENED → ASSIGNED
Keywords: nsbeta3, rtm
Target Milestone: --- → M16
Ok, because you're so persistent, I'll try out the patch to 53493.
I tried the patch to 53493 and as I expected, it doesn't fix this bug at all. I don't think they are related.
rtm-, I don't see that any existing xul is impacted by this bug. Getting a fix into the trunk for Transformiix is a good thing though.
Mass changing QA to ckritzer.
QA Contact: junruh → ckritzer
I was overjoyed to encounter this bug today. Here's what I found is and is not possible: I CAN load a file from a file:// html document. I CAN NOT load a file from a chrome:// html document. I CAN load a file from a file:// xul document. I CAN NOT load a file from a chrome:// xul document. So, in other words, regardless of the document type, xml loading through script fails when your app document is loaded through chrome://
I've traced the problem down a little further. As Peter stated in the bug report, the Equals at line 640 in nsScriptSecurityManager is failing when the source document comes from chrome. This is because the two principals being compared in this case are a SystemPrincipal and an AggregatePrincipal. The SystemPrincipal comes from the function that was declared in the chrome document. The AggregatePrincipal comes from the document object that is the target of the "load" event, and it contains a CodebasePrincipal that points to the xml document you have loaded. It looks to me that the security manager is rejecting this event handler because it assumes the CodebasePrincipal is some evil web document that is trying to intercept events from the SystemPrincipal. In this case, this is obviously not so. What needs to happen is that when an xml document is created for data purposes only, it's js object should have the same principal as the context where it was created. Since this document will never be presented, and therefore, never be able to do evil things to the user, it should not need to have an AggregatePrincipal all the time. CC'ing the XML DOM guys since this is getting into their domain.
Joe, Could you post a testcase for the situation you described (the one that doesn't work)?
Mitch, i think you can use the existing testcases to try it out. Put them somewhere in the chrome directory and try to load test.xul with a chrome URL. Now that Joe seems to have found what the problem is, any chance we could get a fix? If you don't have time for this, could you see if Joe's solution is correct and show us where to implement it?
Mass adding mozilla0.9 keyword (mass changing milestone doesn't seem to work).
Setting milestone to Moz0.9.
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla0.9
Created attachment 28531 [details] [diff] [review] Here's a fix for chrome accessing chrome and chrome accessing non-chrome.
Two parts to the above patch. The nsXMLDocument part gets the new document's principal from the channel that loaded it if the channel provided a principal. This is the same behavior as a normal document load in a browser window. This way, if the channel assigns the system principal (as a chrome load will do), the generated XML document will be given the system principal. The other part is to add a check for system principal to nsScriptSecurityManager::CheckFunctionAccess. This is the security check function called when avent handlers are about to be run. THe system principal should be able to capture events from any domain.
I can't say security is my strong field, but it looks ok to me, r=heikki.
Fix checked in.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago → 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
It works now, thanks Mitchell. Marking verified.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.