[dashboard] update django_site for django 1.2+

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 652793

Status

P2
normal
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 652793
9 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: Pike, Unassigned)

Tracking

Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

9 years ago
I expect that we need to hack a few things to use django 1.2+.

Most notably, the auth backend and custom fields need tweaks, AFAICT, the template tags need reviews, as do the feeds.

Good follow-ups would be "iftag cleanup".

This might be a good thing for a hacking session.

Blocking drain, bug 563823, as that should use the new email, feed, and natural-keys-in-fixtures-for-tests.
(Reporter)

Updated

9 years ago
Depends on: 578703
(Reporter)

Comment 1

8 years ago
The django-site side of bug 578703 landed, removing the block as that bug waits for l10n-master still.
No longer depends on: 578703
Axel, what is the status of this bug? Need some help? Or maybe we should wait till we're all in Paris later this month and make an afternoon hacking session out of it?
(Reporter)

Comment 3

8 years ago
Stas, if you could drive a test install and check what breaks, that'd be super helpful. Most notably, the build displays, compare-locales and dashboards use custom tags and filters.

Also, well, you could dive into the source of those :-)

I don't think this is great for a hacking session, as it may require a few iterations and code/docs reading.
Sure, I'll do what I can do help here.

Also, we might actually consider upgrading directly to 1.3, given their release schedule:

    October 18, 2010 -- Django 1.3 alpha; major feature freeze
    November 29, 2010 -- Django 1.3 beta; complete feature freeze
    January 10, 2011 -- Django 1.3 RC1; translation string freeze
    January 17, 2011 -- Django 1.3 final

This may seems distant, but considering that "Django 1.3 is going to be light on big new features, and heavy on bugfixes and little features," I think we could start using 1.3 beta when it comes out.
http://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2010/sep/30/django-1_3-release-schedule/
FWIW, Django 1.3 beta 1 was released a week ago: http://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2010/dec/22/13-beta-1/ (release notes: http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.3-beta-1/).

Among other things, it adds a built-in staticfiles app in contrib, with helpful management commands like 'collectstatic.' See bug 563236.

The final release is scheduled for the first week of February.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

8 years ago
... just a month late so far.

I'm really not a friend of us going down the route of beta installations, unless we come up with a scheme on how to reliable test them, and a scheme to update them in a timely manner.
Our whole codebase is one huge beta, so I don't think I have a big problem with using Django beta, too ;) 

On a more serious note, though, I'm totally fine with us waiting for 1.3 final. They're only 2 weeks behind their original schedule, and if we get the final release in February, that will be just perfect, IMO.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

8 years ago
I just had my local setup fail on log-in in 1.2 over CSRF :-(
(Reporter)

Updated

8 years ago
Depends on: 640972
(Reporter)

Updated

8 years ago
Blocks: 640974
(Reporter)

Comment 9

8 years ago
resolving dupe on playdoh, bug 652793
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago
Component: Infrastructure → Elmo
Product: Mozilla Localizations → Webtools
QA Contact: infrastructure → elmo
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Version: unspecified → 1.0
Duplicate of bug: 652793
(Reporter)

Updated

8 years ago
No longer blocks: 640974
(Reporter)

Updated

8 years ago
No longer depends on: 640972
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.