Open Bug 581698 Opened 13 years ago Updated 5 months ago

Umlauts in comments of extension code cause problems (did work in older version)


(Firefox :: General, defect)

3.6 Branch
Windows 7





(Reporter: taras, Unassigned)


User-Agent:       Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv: Gecko/20100713 Firefox/3.6.7

I have developed an own extension. It worked well in older versions of Firefox (I think till some version of 3.5). Yesterday, I installed Firefox 3.6.7. The extension did not work anymore. It had been installed. But the menuitems which should be added by the extension where not shown. Also the options dialog could not be opened. When trying to open the options dialog an XML error message was shown with strange signs at the positions of umlauts.  The problem was caused by umlauts (ä - ae, ü - ue, ö - oe and also ß - ss) in some of my comments within files of the extension (XUL files as well as JavaScript files). I have replaced all umlauts. Now the extension works well. Maybe umlauts in the source code itself could also cause this problem. I cannot tell as I did not use umlauts in source code (only in comments).

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Add an umlaut in a content file of an extension.
Version: unspecified → 3.6 Branch
Severity: normal → S3
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.