deleted IMAP folders do not disappear from folder tree (Favarite Folders view)

NEW
Unassigned
(NeedInfo fromanyone)

Status

--
minor
8 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: aaron, Unassigned, NeedInfo)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

(Reporter)

Description

8 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.10) Gecko/20100623 Iceweasel/3.5.10 (like Firefox/3.5.10)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100825 Thunderbird/3.1.3

after i request and confirm the deletion of an IMAP folder, it stays present in the folder list. clicking on it throws an IMAP server error.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. right-click on IMAP folder with no messages in it, select "delete"
2. confirm deletion in the dialog box
3. select another folder with the mouse
4. select again the folder you deleted
Actual Results:  
an IMAP server error pops up, along the lines of "no folder with that name".

Expected Results:  
i shouldn't ever have the chance to click on a deleted folder. it should have been removed from the display immediately.
(Reporter)

Comment 1

8 years ago
in case it helps, i have mail.server.default.delete_model = 1
(In reply to comment #1)
> in case it helps, i have mail.server.default.delete_model = 1

mail.server.default.delete_model=1 (== Move to trash model) is used only when per account mail.server.serverN.delete_model is not set(0=Just mark as deleted, 2=Remove it immediately, reset if move to trash model=>probably default.delete_model is used).
What is the server's mail.server.serverN.delete_model setting?

Assuming delete_model=1 is used(move to trash model), with trash folder == Trash.

Upon "delete of IMAP folder" with "move to trash model", Tb requests next.
  1. rename "XXX" "Trash/XXX"  (== move XXX under Trash)
  2. unsubscribe "XXX"
  3. subscribe "Trash/XXX"

Some IMAP servers retun NO to 'unsubscribe "XXX"' because "XXX" doesn't exist any more as a result of rename operation, even though unsubscribe shoudn't relevant to existence of an IMAP folder.
If this happens, Tb doesn't remove folder of XXX from folder pane, because whole "delete(move to Trash) of folder XXX" operation is not completed.
And, when remained XXX is clicked, Tb issues select "XXX" and server returns NO because XXX doesn't exist any more.
Several reports for such phenomenon are seen at bugzilla.mozilla.org. 

> IMAP folder with no messages in it

Some server doesn't create file for an IMAP folder unless at least one mail is held in it. In this case, server may return NO to rename "XXX" "Trash/XXX", because file for XXX doesn't exist, even if deletion of XXX itself is done at server. It's also a "delete of IMAP folder failure" for Tb.  

If above happens, "manual unsubscribe of XXX" is currently needed. (probably forever, because "subscribed but non-existent IMAP folder" should be recovered/re-created ordinally.)

Get IMAP log, and check IMAP level flow for your "delete folder" operation.
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging
> IMAP command/response : http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501
FYI.
Bug 566248 is an example of NO to unsubscribe after rename.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

8 years ago
hi wada,
mail.server.serverN.delete_model is not set; i changed mail.server.default.delete_model=2 to see if it helped. i attach the relevant section of the IMAP log showing the deletion and the error; in brief, "21 OK DELETE completed", "22 OK UNSUBSCRIBE completed", "23 OK", "24 IDLE", "25 NO no folder with that name".
(Reporter)

Comment 5

8 years ago
Created attachment 474787 [details]
IMAP log of what's going on with this error.
Attachment #474787 - Attachment mime type: application/octet-stream → text/plain
(In reply to comment #4)
> mail.server.default.delete_model=2 to see if it helped.
> "21 OK DELETE completed", "22 OK UNSUBSCRIBE completed", "23 OK", "24 IDLE", 

Folder is normally deleted.

> "25 NO no folder with that name".

When this error occurred? When you intentinally clicked remained "English-clustered" at folder pane? Or by new mail check? (manually or automatically)

As I mentioned, "remaining folder at folder pane after delete" can be observed with Tb 3.1 and Gmail IMAP because Gmail IMAP returns NO to unsubsribe(probably only when rename by  delete_model=1). But deleted-but-remainig folder disappears by collapse/re-expand of account or new window open via "Open of context menu of account/folder".

Deleted folder still shown at folder pane after such operation?
What folder view do you use? "All Folders"?

> mail.server.default.delete_model=2 to see if it helped.

Check with mail.server.serverN.delete_model=2 which is set by preference UI(Server Settings), please. I don't know change of mail.server.default.delete_model via Config Editor works immediately/effectively or not.
(Reporter)

Comment 7

8 years ago
> When this error occurred?

i intentionally clicked the folder name which was still present in the folder pane.

> What folder view do you use? "All Folders"?

i use the "favorites" view.

> Check with mail.server.serverN.delete_model=2

the behavior is the same. the deleted folder only disappears when i trigger rediscoverFolders().

FWIW, my IMAP server isn't gmail, it's everyone.net.
(In reply to comment #7)
> > What folder view do you use? "All Folders"?
> i use the "favorites" view.

Confirmed with Tb 3.1.2, using Gmail IMAP.
(1) Open Tb window-1, Consolidated Folders view
(2) Open Tb window-2, Favarite Folders view
(3) At window-1, create a folder, say F1, set as favarite folder
    F1 is not automaticaly shown at window-2
(4) At window-2, go other folder view, back to Favarite Folders view
    F1 is shown at window-2
(5) At window-2, delete F1
    F1 is still shown at window-2
    F1 is automatically deleted from window-1
(6) At window-2, go other folder view, back to Favarite Folders view
    F1 disappears from window-2
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Summary: deleted IMAP folders do not disappear from folder tree → deleted IMAP folders do not disappear from folder tree (Favarite Folders view)
(Reporter)

Comment 9

8 years ago
this is a big problem for anyone hoping to use thunderbird as one of several clients to an IMAP account. could we get some keywords or an assignment for this bug so it will get more attention? WADA confirmed my report six months ago (thanks!).

Comment 10

6 years ago
Aaron, do you still see this issue?
Flags: needinfo?(aaron)
(Reporter)

Comment 11

6 years ago
hi wayne, i don't work at the job where this came up any more. as far as i know, the issue was not resolved when i left the job a year ago, and i haven't run thunderbird since. sorry!
Flags: needinfo?(aaron)

Comment 12

6 years ago
I can reproduce 1-3 of comment 8, where the created folder doe snot appear.. But not the rest.

ovidiu, what do you say?
Severity: normal → minor
Flags: needinfo?
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.