Search filters not styled on linux

VERIFIED FIXED in mozilla2.0b8

Status

()

Toolkit
Add-ons Manager
VERIFIED FIXED
8 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: Mikko Rantalainen, Assigned: Unfocused)

Tracking

Trunk
mozilla2.0b8
All
Linux
Points:
---
Bug Flags:
in-testsuite -
in-litmus -

Firefox Tracking Flags

(blocking2.0 final+)

Details

(URL)

Attachments

(2 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

8 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0b7pre) Gecko/20100921 Firefox/4.0b7pre
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0b7pre) Gecko/20100921 Firefox/4.0b7pre

The new (tabbed) Add-ons manager has poor usability for search box.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install latest Minefield and start it
2. Select Tools - Add-ons
3. Type "inspector" in top right search box and hit enter
Actual Results:  
DOM Inspector should be listed in the search results.

Expected Results:  
"Could not find any matching add-ons" with a button "Learn more about add-ons".



It seems that the end user is expected to hit "Available add-ons" label at the top. However, there's no UI hint of any kind that "My Add-ons" is currently selected so the user is not expecting to see any filtering on the results.

I'd suggest following to fix this bug:
Always display subtitle "My Add-ons" and list all add-ons that matched the search followed by subtitle "Available Add-ons" and a list of add-ons that matched the search. If user is entering a search query, the changes are that the list below "My Add-ons" is very short and may well be integrated with the list from "Available add-ons". In addition, there will be one less choice to be made when searching for add-ons.

Updated

8 years ago
Component: General → Add-ons Manager
Product: Firefox → Toolkit
QA Contact: general → add-ons.manager
Version: unspecified → Trunk
When you say there is no UI hint of any kind, what do you mean, do you have a screenshot?
(In reply to comment #0)
> It seems that the end user is expected to hit "Available add-ons" label at the
> top. However, there's no UI hint of any kind that "My Add-ons" is currently
> selected so the user is not expecting to see any filtering on the results.

For fresh profiles the "Available Add-ons" results should be displayed because no add-onn will be installed. That could help to reduce the confusion for new users. Right now the user has to discover the available results first, which seems to be not as easy. I thought I have filed a bug on it but cannot find it right now.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → ASSIGNED
Ever confirmed: true
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
(Reporter)

Comment 3

8 years ago
Created attachment 477883 [details]
Search page after entering "inspector" and hitting enter

This is the default search result on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS running trunk Minefield. Note that although "My add-ons" is logically selected is has similar rendering to "Available add-ons".
(Reporter)

Comment 4

8 years ago
Created attachment 477885 [details]
Search page after selecting "Available Add-ons"

This is the "inspector" search result followed by a click to "Available Add-ons" on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS running trunk Minefield.
Note that this screenshot has "Available add-ons" highlighted but if the *window* loses focus the rendering of "My add-ons" and "Available add-ons" are identical.

I'd guess that default style has only :focus or :active styling and nothing for the case if "My add-ons" or "Available add-ons" are "selected".
(Reporter)

Comment 5

8 years ago
Note that the problem with search result selection UI hint is secondary. I think there shouldn't be such a selection at all. See comment 0.

(By the way, I just noticed that I've somehow mixed the "Expected" and "Actual" results in original bug entry.)
(Reporter)

Comment 6

8 years ago
Poor text quality in screen shots above is bug 404637.
Summary: Add-ons search box has poor usability (my add-ons and available add-ons are separated and have no UI hints) → Search filters not styled on linux
blocking2.0: --- → ?
blocking2.0: ? → final+

Comment 7

8 years ago
(In reply to comment #2)
> For fresh profiles the "Available Add-ons" results should be displayed because
> no add-on will be installed. That could help to reduce the confusion for new
> users.

IMO, this should be the default behavior, independently of whether this is a new profile or not. I think most people have at most a few addons only, and won't use this way to find an installed addon. I'm pretty sure most people would use "search" as a way to look for new addons, not already installed ones. It took me several days to realize that some addons were already available to b8, because the addon manager kept telling me that there were no match.
Hardware: x86_64 → All
Assignee: nobody → bmcbride
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Whiteboard: [needs 601022]
Fixed by bug 601022, file any remaining issues separately
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Whiteboard: [needs 601022]
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla2.0b8
Verified fixed with Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101125 Firefox/4.0b8pre ID:20101125030318

Blair, was the reason that we haven't set an initial value here? Is this tested in a mochitest or do we need a manual one?
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
(In reply to comment #9)
> Blair, was the reason that we haven't set an initial value here? Is this tested
> in a mochitest or do we need a manual one?

It did (it was selected) - this was solely a styling issue. No tests needed.
Flags: in-testsuite-
Flags: in-litmus-
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.