Closed Bug 60328 Opened 23 years ago Closed 20 years ago
Chinese(traditional) page with <html lang=zh> do not use the Chinese fonts set in preference
131 bytes, text/html
128 bytes, text/html
152.43 KB, image/png
159.10 KB, image/png
my Build ID:Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux 2.2.14 i686; en-US; m18) Gecko/20001103. consider the 2 following similar html code...(i will also attach the file) first one: <head lang=zh-TW> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; char set=Big5"> </head> <body> ±z¦n¶Ü </body> </html> and <head lang=zh> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Big5"> </head> <body> ±z¦n¶Ü </body> </html> the first one will use the chinese fonts set in the preference... however,the second one seem just use the default chinese fonts. (-default-ming-*-*-*-big5-0) looking the prefs.js... i find the following... user_pref("font.name.monospace.zh-TW","dynalab-mingli-big5-0"); user_pref("font.name.sans-serif.zh-TW","dynalab-mingli-big5=0"); user_pref("font.name.serif.zh-TW","dynalab-mingli-big5-0"); user_pref("font.size.fixed.zh-TW",13); user_pref("font.size.variable.zh-TW",13); it seem that setting the chinese fonts will just make the setting for zh-TW lang so i add the following manually in prefs.js user_pref("font.name.monospace.zh","dynalab-mingli-big5-0"); user_pref("font.name.sans-serif.zh","dynalab-mingli-big5=0"); user_pref("font.name.serif.zh","dynalab-mingli-big5-0"); user_pref("font.size.fixed.zh",13); user_pref("font.size.variable.zh",13); however,this seem don't work either...
over to layout.
Assignee: asa → clayton
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Component: Browser-General → Layout
Ever confirmed: true
QA Contact: doronr → petersen
Assignee: clayton → harishd
Layout bug. Giving bug to waterson and ccing buster.
Assignee: harishd → waterson
nope, erik owns text and language issues for layout.
Assignee: waterson → erik
It seem that if the language tag is invalid....e.g "<html lang=dfkjhsdfk>" mozilla try to use other fonts itself........:(
I believe the following may fall under this bug: the source code for http://home.netscape.com/zh/cn is not viewing correctly. The chinese symbols are interspersed with ? marks. I'm seeing this on linux only.
*** Bug 63902 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This is an invalid bug. Both case by design should use the Traditoinal Chinese font. lang=zh in <head> do not make any difference (and should not). Wan Hing Wah- could you explain what you want to do here ?
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 23 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
My computer contain 2 type of fonts ,big5 fonts,and jis fonts (-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-jisx02081.1983-0). Both fonts contain some Chinese font with different coding,but have overlap in Unicode. I have set in preference to set a font to use for Traditional Chinese,which make an entry like user_pref("font.name.serif.zh-TW", "default-mingli-big5-0"); in prefs.js However,when access the sourceforge Chinese page, The html tag is specified an lang attribute with a value of "zh" , which seem mozilla contain invalid. The mozilla can detect the page use big5 encoding,however,it first transfer to Unicode and when it can't find unicode font in the system and try to convert the unicode to a coding which the system have that fonts. Instead of using the big5 fonts,it choose fonts with encoding jisx0208.1983-0.Even I try to choose "Tradition Chinese" in View-> coding,this remain the same. this won't be occured if the lang attribute isn't specified in html tag,or lang attribute is specified with a value "zh-TW".The mozilla will then use the big5 fonts. But if jisx0208.1983-0 fonts is not found in the system,it will use the big5 fonts and work correctly see the attachment 21499 [details],21500 for the difference
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: INVALID → ---
Interesting issue.... so the problem seems we pass down "zh" as the language code down to the GFX and we cannot find a pref for zh. In that case, we probably should find a way to fall back to listen to the charset instead. I wonder we have a way to do that now.
Status: REOPENED → NEW
Priority: P3 → P4
bstell- please take a look at this. I don't think we should support what the reporter origional ask for. (hook lang=zh with some new preference value). But I think your recent work may fix his REAL problem (which cause him to try the lang=zh)
Assignee: erik → bstell
Added intl keyword.
I don't believe there are too many page label as lang=zh. move it to future
Target Milestone: mozilla0.9.2 → Future
Assignee: bstell → ftang
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
bulk move NEW FUTURE bug to ASSIGN
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
What ftang wrote in comment #14 was implemented a long long time ago.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 23 years ago → 20 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.