Extensions and Appearance empty after session restore

VERIFIED FIXED in mozilla2.0b8

Status

()

Toolkit
Add-ons Manager
VERIFIED FIXED
8 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: kinger, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
mozilla2.0b8
x86
Windows Vista
Points:
---
Bug Flags:
in-testsuite -
in-litmus -

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

8 years ago
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101014 Firefox/4.0b8pre

When I open about:addons after a sesstion restore (4 windows, 100s of tabs), the Extensions and Appearance panes are blank.

The persona I had installed is still applied, but I have yet to determine if all my add-ons are working. Definitely major bustage though.

Errors on opening of about:addons tab...

Error: ERROR addons.xpi: Error creating statement getVisibleAddons (SELECT internal_id, id, location, version, type, internalName, updateURL, updateKey, optionsURL, aboutURL, iconURL, icon64URL, defaultLocale, visible, active, userDisabled, appDisabled, pendingUninstall, descriptor, installDate, updateDate, applyBackgroundUpdates, bootstrap, skinnable, size, sourceURI, releaseNotesURI FROM addon WHERE visible=1)

Error: ERROR addons.manager: Exception calling provider.getAddonsByTypes: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.createStatement]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm :: XPIDB_getStatement :: line 3350"  data: no]

Error: ERROR addons.xpi: Error creating statement getVisibleAddons (SELECT internal_id, id, location, version, type, internalName, updateURL, updateKey, optionsURL, aboutURL, iconURL, icon64URL, defaultLocale, visible, active, userDisabled, appDisabled, pendingUninstall, descriptor, installDate, updateDate, applyBackgroundUpdates, bootstrap, skinnable, size, sourceURI, releaseNotesURI FROM addon WHERE visible=1)

Error: ERROR addons.manager: Exception calling provider.getAddonsByTypes: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.createStatement]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm :: XPIDB_getStatement :: line 3350"  data: no]

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [mozIStorageRow.getResultByName]"  nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm :: anonymous :: line 835"  data: no]
Source File: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm
Line: 835
(Reporter)

Comment 1

8 years ago
I loaded the profile in b6 and only system side extensions were listed.

I went back to the nightly with the same profile, and extensions loaded this time but all previously disabled ones were enabled.
That's known and will not be changed. The reason is that all your add-ons are placed as XPI files inside the extension directory. Beta 6 is not able to handle that.

Brian, can you reproduce that behavior with a new profile and by killing the process?
(Reporter)

Comment 3

8 years ago
(In reply to comment #2)
> That's known and will not be changed. The reason is that all your add-ons are
> placed as XPI files inside the extension directory. Beta 6 is not able to
> handle that.

So are you saying that at some point a nightly repacked all my extensions as XPIs and broke backward compatibility?

> Brian, can you reproduce that behavior with a new profile and by killing the
> process?

When I get time I'll have a go.
Are you still able to reproduce opening the tab and seeing nothing with all the errors in the console? This sounds likely to be similar to the problem reported in bug 602577 but the only scenario I can think of causing that is an unlikely one:

1. Run an older nightly of Firefox (Say b6)
2. Run a newer nightly of Firefox (Anything after bug 562902 landed)
3. Crash before exiting that first run of the newer version

Any chance that something like that happened here?
(Reporter)

Comment 5

8 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> Are you still able to reproduce opening the tab and seeing nothing with all the
> errors in the console?

No.

> This sounds likely to be similar to the problem reported
> in bug 602577 but the only scenario I can think of causing that is an unlikely
> one:
> 
> 1. Run an older nightly of Firefox (Say b6)
> 2. Run a newer nightly of Firefox (Anything after bug 562902 landed)
> 3. Crash before exiting that first run of the newer version
> 
> Any chance that something like that happened here?

It sounds like a plausible scenario. However, I can not say for sure because I don't recall anything about the crash, i.e. when it happened, or whatever triggered the session restore.
The errors listed are indicative of a bad schema in the database or a corrupt database. Unless we can find out precisely how to reproduce this all we can do I think is rely on bug 602577 which will work to repair and recover from such cases as best we can.
Depends on: 602577
With bug 602577 fixed we should recover from problems like this. It would be nice to find out what causes the problem in the first place but until we do there isn't really anything more to do here.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla2.0b8
Backed out due to test failures
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
And relanded
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago8 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Tested around for this problem but wasn't able to reproduce. Marking as verified fixed for now with Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101204 Firefox/4.0b8pre ID:20101204030328
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Flags: in-testsuite-
Flags: in-litmus-
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.