Ogg video does not autoplay

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

()

Core
Audio/Video
RESOLVED INVALID
7 years ago
7 years ago

People

(Reporter: gaby2300, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows 7
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101105 Firefox/4.0b8pre
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101105 Firefox/4.0b8pre

In Litmus smoketests Test 12 "Play an ogg video" the ogg video (http://videos.mozilla.org/firefox/3.6/getpersonas.ogv) does not start playing unless I click on the Play button (it doesn't start automatically).

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Browse to http://videos.mozilla.org/firefox/3.6/getpersonas.ogv

Actual Results:  
The video doesn't start automatically. For it to start I have to click on the Play button.



Expected Results:  
The video should start automatically.

It happens on trunk and Firefox beta 7 even having disabled the hardware acceleration.
(Reporter)

Updated

7 years ago
Version: unspecified → Trunk
Works for me.  How long are you waiting?  The video won't autoplay until it has enough data (or is downloading fast enough) that it can play through to the end without pausing to buffer.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

7 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> Works for me.  How long are you waiting?  The video won't autoplay until it has
> enough data (or is downloading fast enough) that it can play through to the end
> without pausing to buffer.

I'm sorry but I've been told it should autoplay as soon as I browse to the site.
No, it won't start immediately.  For me, it takes around 9 seconds before it starts autoplaying, which is reasonable given my internet connection.  If you can confirm that it does start playing for you after a few seconds (depending on your connection speed), we can close this bug as invalid.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

7 years ago
Sorry but it was Juanb who told me it should start immediately. For me it never starts playing at all so I definitely don't think this bug can be closed as invalid!
(Reporter)

Comment 5

7 years ago
(In reply to comment #3)
> No, it won't start immediately.  For me, it takes around 9 seconds before it
> starts autoplaying, which is reasonable given my internet connection.  If you
> can confirm that it does start playing for you after a few seconds (depending
> on your connection speed), we can close this bug as invalid.

Actually, it takes more than 7 minutes for me. I don't think it's reasonable at all so again, I definitely don't think this bug can be closed as
invalid at all.
I was not able to reproduce this problem across platforms, but I have a very fast internet connection and the video starts playing almost immediately. Gabriela, my concern was that if the video has the autoplay attribute and it didn't try playing immediately, then it would be a bug.

Can you try saving the video file onto your desktop and then try opening the video from there and see if it starts playing immediately?
(Reporter)

Comment 7

7 years ago
I've saved the video file onto my desktop. When I open it now it does start playing immediately.
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > No, it won't start immediately.  For me, it takes around 9 seconds before it
> > starts autoplaying, which is reasonable given my internet connection.  If you
> > can confirm that it does start playing for you after a few seconds (depending
> > on your connection speed), we can close this bug as invalid.
> 
> Actually, it takes more than 7 minutes for me. I don't think it's reasonable at
> all so again, I definitely don't think this bug can be closed as
> invalid at all.

What's the download progress bar showing you during that time? If you hover your mouse over the video, do you see the video being slowly downloaded? That video is 67 seconds long. If it takes 7 minutes to download, I'd say this is caused by a slow connection to that site (I've had slow downloads on that URL before, but never that slow).
(Reporter)

Comment 9

7 years ago
(In reply to comment #8)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > (In reply to comment #3)
> > > No, it won't start immediately.  For me, it takes around 9 seconds before it
> > > starts autoplaying, which is reasonable given my internet connection.  If you
> > > can confirm that it does start playing for you after a few seconds (depending
> > > on your connection speed), we can close this bug as invalid.
> > 
> > Actually, it takes more than 7 minutes for me. I don't think it's reasonable at
> > all so again, I definitely don't think this bug can be closed as
> > invalid at all.
> 
> What's the download progress bar showing you during that time? If you hover
> your mouse over the video, do you see the video being slowly downloaded? That
> video is 67 seconds long. If it takes 7 minutes to download, I'd say this is
> caused by a slow connection to that site (I've had slow downloads on that URL
> before, but never that slow).

Yes I if I hover my mouse over the video, I can see the video being slowly downloaded.
(In reply to comment #7)
> I've saved the video file onto my desktop. When I open it now it does start
> playing immediately.
(In reply to comment #9)
> Yes I if I hover my mouse over the video, I can see the video being slowly
> downloaded.

Sounds like this is just caused by a slow connection.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.