Closed Bug 613570 Opened 12 years ago Closed 12 years ago

Add Mobile Add-ons Cup banner to AMO

Categories

(addons.mozilla.org Graveyard :: Public Pages, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

VERIFIED FIXED
5.12.5

People

(Reporter: syap, Assigned: clouserw)

References

()

Details

Attachments

(3 files)

Overview and Project Scope: We're launching a Firefox Mobile Add-ons Cup in Q4 on Nov. 29th. The Cup would run and be structured similarly to the Extend
Firefox 3.5 campaign. We would like to post this contest on the AMO site.
We are aiming to have this banner for the contest on AMO and target to go live date: Nov. 29th, Monday.  

Deliverables: 
Would like this site to go live Monday, Nov. 29 (1+ week)

Site: addons.mozilla.org/mobile-cup/  
Date needed for posting banner: Launch on Nov. 29
Current hosting site: http://nclud.com/project/mozilla/addons_contest/dev/
Where: insert banner across the top of AMO pages, but we are open to your suggestions. 
(This is a helpful reference in terms of placing the banner on the page to optimize click-through rates): https://intranet.mozilla.org/Https://wiki.mozilla.org/Website/PromoGuide

Graphic file: http://www.intothefuzz.com/rhonda/Addon_Cup_Banners/
(do not include this graphic: addons_WC_111x111.png)
Sara,

As this is a contest for developers, I wouldn't be comfortable with having it on every page of the site. I think it'd be appropriate for our Developer Hub, though. You might also want to talk to the MDN team to see about putting it somewhere on MDN.

chowse, could you take a quick look at how to throw one of those images into the current Dev Hub design?

also Sara, is this only for en-US locale or all locales? the image isn't localized.
Summary: Posting Banner on AMO for Add-on → Add Mobile Add-ons Cup banner to AMO
You missed our launch yesterday - the next one is on Dec 7th.  Will that work for your schedule?

https://mail.mozilla.com/home/wclouser@mozilla.com/AMO%20Schedule.html
Justin: this contest is for En-US only. We will not localize the image due to the timeline for the contest. Also, featuring the banner just on the front page is fine. 

Clouser: Is there any way that we might be able to post the banner earlier than Dec. 7th? 

Also, I believe that Mike Alexis will be working with us to get this content on the AMO site. Caitlin can comment if she has any follow-up.

Chowse: it would be helpful to have one of the images on the current Dev Hub design. Please find a place to post this on the site.
> Clouser: Is there any way that we might be able to post the banner earlier than
> Dec. 7th? 

Pushing off schedule uses up developer time which is already getting crunched (end of Q4).  We should have more than a week of notice for deployment - and it doesn't sound like design or code is done yet.  Let's finish that and then figure out when we can deploy.
Assignee: nobody → chowse
Target Milestone: --- → 5.12.5
Hi Wil,

Thanks for the follow up. Do you know if there might be a possibility for earlier deployment now that you might have a better sense of Q4/design/code work status? Mobile would really like to get the contest up on AMO if possible. 
If you have any updates on an earlier ETA, that would be great since we hope to attract more developers as the timeline for the contest has quite a limited timeframe. Thanks for your work.
(In reply to comment #5)
> Hi Wil,
> 
> Thanks for the follow up. Do you know if there might be a possibility for
> earlier deployment now that you might have a better sense of Q4/design/code
> work status? Mobile would really like to get the contest up on AMO if possible. 
> If you have any updates on an earlier ETA, that would be great since we hope to
> attract more developers as the timeline for the contest has quite a limited
> timeframe. Thanks for your work.

This is dependent on chowse from comment 3.  I don't know what his schedule is like.  If there are other designers that are available, they could do it too.
(In reply to comment #3)

Hi Chowse, 

if you have any follow up questions regarding the banner, please let me know. We are just hoping to get this up on a page to promote the contest hopefully on the frontpage. 
Thanks,
Sara

> Justin: this contest is for En-US only. We will not localize the image due to
> the timeline for the contest. Also, featuring the banner just on the front page
> is fine. 
> 
> Clouser: Is there any way that we might be able to post the banner earlier than
> Dec. 7th? 
> 
> Also, I believe that Mike Alexis will be working with us to get this content on
> the AMO site. Caitlin can comment if she has any follow-up.
> 
> Chowse: it would be helpful to have one of the images on the current Dev Hub
> design. Please find a place to post this on the site.
Attached image Mobile Cup in Sidebar
First idea for promo: large block in the sidebar, above the 'Submit Add-on' CTA.
Attached image Mobile Cup below Intro
Second idea: banner below the intro module.
@Sara: Do you have original versions (PSDs, AIs) of the promos or the webpage? AMO is a fluid-width site, so I'll need to slice the images so they fit properly.

@Webdev: the banner uses a free webfont, Bebas (http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Bebas), for the title and tagline. I can probably convert the title to an image (as long as it doesn't need to be localized), but the tagline won't flow correctly as an image. Can we use @font-face in the banner, or do I need to design a fallback? (FYI: the Bebas WOFF is only 12k)
This is English only, so an image is fine, albeit not ideal.  I'd rather not load another font.
I prefer the horizontal version. The right column is a lot more crowded for logged-in developers and I'm about to add another box to the column as well.

I would be fine with the horizontal version being above the intro too.
I like the "below Intro" placement a lot.
The finalized design for the Mobile Cup banner. This should be reproducible w/ only CSS & a few images. I'll still need the PSDs to reproduce the 'Enter Now' medal.
For Rhonda (designer)

Can you please send us the PSDs to reproduce the "Enter Now" medal for the Mobile Add-on page? If you could send this to this team, that would be great for the AMO site. Thanks!

Sara
Hello--
The PSD's for the medal and the banners are now here for pickup:

http://www.intothefuzz.com/rhonda/Addon_Cup_Banners/PSD/

thanks!
:)
--rhonda
Thanks, Rhonda!
Thanks for the originals, Rhonda!

The banner images and CSS are finished: 
http://people.mozilla.com/~chowse/drop/amo/mobile-cup/banner/banner.html

Let me know if it needs any touch-ups.
Assignee: chowse → nobody
This looks great, Howse.

Sara
I tried to pawn this off on potch, but he pulled the remora card.  Code is in r78540 and can be seen at https://addons.allizom.org/en-US/developers

Is this what people are looking for?  Is that the right URL?
OS: Mac OS X → Windows 7
That's the right spot, but there are some CSS alignment issues.
(In reply to comment #21)
> That's the right spot, but there are some CSS alignment issues.

fixed
Please see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=615567#c5; I'm unsure about which URL the banner should point to, at this point.
We can't push these changes until mid-late december, so oremj did a special patch just for them.  -> fixed and live: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers
Assignee: nobody → clouserw
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Product: addons.mozilla.org → addons.mozilla.org Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.