Apprunner crashes on startup under NT 4.0 SP5

VERIFIED INVALID

Status

P2
critical
VERIFIED INVALID
20 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: rbonner, Assigned: law)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows NT

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

20 years ago
I get the following on the command line after starting apprunner:
nsComponentManager: Using components dir: E:\test\mozilla\x86rel\components
width was not set
height was not set
                defaultReading file...
Reading file...Done
The Messenger component is available. Initializing...
Messenger has been bootstrapped!
The Composer component is available. Initializing...
Composer has been bootstrapped!
Reading file...
Reading file...Done
Reading file...
Reading file...Done

Then I see a partially drawn window and then a dialog box w/ the title:
ToolTipText: apprunner.exe - Application error
And the following in the dialog box:
The instruction at "0x503317b0" referenced memory at "0x017161c8". The memory
could not be "written".
Click OK to terminate the application.
Click on CANCEL to debug the application.

I tried several times but the application would not start even after rebooting
with no other apps were running.

Updated

20 years ago
Assignee: don → law
Severity: blocker → critical
Priority: P3 → P2
Target Milestone: M6

Comment 1

20 years ago
Bill, can you figure out what's going on here?

Updated

20 years ago
QA Contact: 3853 → 3849

Comment 2

20 years ago
Updating QA Contact

Comment 3

20 years ago
More infor per email from rbonner:
I found the origin of the problem.
I went in to the VC++ debugger (a brave move for me... I've been almost
exclusively Java/Perl for the last 3 years :o) and it reported:
Unhandled Exception in apprunner.exe (NPJAVA32.DLL); 0xC0000005: Access
Violation.

So I tried swapping out the NPJAVA32.DLL in \Netscape\Communicator\Plugins
with the NPJAVA32.DLL from Sun's JDK 1.1.8 instead of the JDK 1.2.1 DLL
and Mozilla came up.  Should the Java 2 plug in work?
(Assignee)

Updated

20 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 20 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
(Assignee)

Comment 4

20 years ago
This is a dup of another bug (which I can't for the life of me figure out the
number of, so I'm marking this one invalid).  There is a known problem with the
java plugin.  Another workaround is to create an empty plugins directory where
your apprunner sits.

Updated

20 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Comment 5

20 years ago
I can't find bug either...marking Verified.

Comment 6

19 years ago
Moving all Apprunner bugs past and present to Other component temporarily whilst
don and I set correct component.  Apprunner component will be deleted/retired
shortly.
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.