User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729) Build Identifier: Installed 4.0 beta 8 on Windows Xp Now back on Firefox 3.6 13. Installed 4.0 b8, but after numerous attempts (including rebooting) to load FF, deleted 4.0 and re-used 3.6 (It was still present in 'Program Files' but in a different folder. I noted there were more files with TODAY'S date in the 3.6 folder, than there were in the 4.0 folder !!! And they're still there. 4.0 hung with the Google.co.uk page visible, but with the GREEN loading-circle continually rotating in the top left tab. It was using a fair bit of CPU processing time. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Make goog;e.co.uk my home page 2. Re-install 4.0 3. Run firefox 4.0 4. Google page loads 5. Wait for ever Actual Results: Tried step 3 again and again. Sometimes killing 4.0, then running 3.6. 3.6 worked OK. Killed 3.6, retried 4.0 Expected Results: Should have loaded an active google page
Please try http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode and be sure that you don't have a stupid third party Firewall that blocks the different Firefox version in a different directory
I'm using Norton Internet Security, with Firewall Protection ON. No special settings. I admit I was surprised to find that Firefox 4.0 gave itself a new folder in Program Files. That may be my trouble. Problem is: If I delete my original 3.6 folder, and then 4.0 still fails to work, I cannot recover FF3.6. I'll try copying FF3.6 to a separate hard drive, then give FF4.0 a go.
Tried all that. NO BETTER. After moving FF3.6, I found the FF4.0 folder empty except for an empty 'Components' folder. I deleted 'components' and downloaded FF4.0b8 and re-installed. I'm back on FF3.6 I should also add that I'm unable to simply close down FF4.0. It's so busy it won't accept an interrupt. I'm using TaskMaster to kill it.
Read your Help again. This time noticed the bit about Safe-Mode. In SafeMode I disabled add-ons. SUCCESS I'm now in FF4.0 (SM) and it's working OK. I'm sure I'll manage without the Add-Ons. Thanks for your help.
The safemode is doing 3 things: It disables all Addons the JIT and the graphic hardware acceleration. It's unlikely that the jit is the cause of your problem. As first step disable all addons in tools/addons/extensions and restart in the normal mode. It's an addon problem if it works now. Enable the addons one by one to find the addon that is causing your problem.
Jim -> Did you find the addon at fault?
Version: unspecified → Trunk
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Component: General → Extension Compatibility
QA Contact: general → extension.compatibility
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Sorry, I've been rather busy for a while. When I'm online, I've disabled add-ons. Will try to tackle the progressive loading soon. Thanks, and Sorry, again.
The fewer addons you use, the faster Firefox will be to start up, the less RAM it will use and the less likely you will inadvertently be using an incompatible addons. As such, less is normally "more" when it comes to addons. If you wish to find out the problematic addon I would suggest say enabling 5-10 addons at a time to speed things up (restarting Firefox inbetween for the change to take effect), to gradually narrow down which one is causing the problem. If you do find out the cause, please post back with the addon name and version, since it can help with any future blocklisting decisions. Btw I would start with testing the McAfee Site Advisor extension, since that is known to cause problems.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.