Embedding clients need the ability to use nsIPref. Our nsIPref impl requires runtime access to stringbundles as some prefs point to .properties files which need to be localized.
so. the attatched patches add strres and prefs files to the manifest files for embedding harnesses. Fonts now look better in the embedding apps. However, because this dist doesn't use chrome urls (should I add chrome support too?) nsPref spews warnings all over the place when it tries to load the chrome urls that the prefs files point to for localizable prefs.
maybe we need to move the localized prefs that pertain to embedding over to resource:/ urls?
what's the diff between the two? I don't know.
Created attachment 21082 [details] [diff] [review] patch to make string bundles observer on the memory pressure API
alec's patch doesn't apply to this bug.
I think I attached this to the right bug, somewhere :)
my patch gets font's working properly. changing summary from "need to include strres lib in embedding dist". It unfortunately drags in strres (which is needed by prefs to handle foo.properties string bundles which can be values in prefs). We really need to factor prefs so only those pertinent to embedding are included (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=62755).
r=bryner on valeski's patch
Updating QA Contact
Correction: Changing QA contact for the Embed API bugs to David Epstein.
Jud, I noticed that in the basebrowser files, the res/strres.properties line is commented out. Is this right? In your patch (attachment), it's listed as enabled (though in your 1/4 comments, you say it's "unfortunate"). Here's what's in these files wrt what's in your patch: basebrowser-unix: res/unixcharset.properties components/libstrres.so defaults/pref/all.js defaults/pref/initpref.js defaults/pref/unix.js components/liburiloader.so basebrowser-windows: res/wincharset.properties components/strres.dll defaults/pref/all.js defaults/pref/initpref.js defaults/pref/unix.js components/urildr.dll
i'm not sure where the .properties files lie. we do include the strres lib, which is definately required.
hmm. I did a search and found the strres.properties file in 2 locations: 1. mozilla\dist\WIN32_D.OBJ\bin\res 2. mozilla\intl\strres\tests So even though it's commented out in the basebrowser files, it must be directed from some other rdf file. The stress lib file is included in the basebrowser files. Verifying bug as fixed.